Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 03-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #46
Fun2Learn

Smile Yet More questions

Thanks for answering our questions, Dan.

If the only color in the grout is what is coating the quartz crystals, that would sound as if the grout must be mostly made up of these quartz crystals, or otherwise the color would be "spotty". Are these crystals especially fine, like in your Ultracolor, or even finer? What is the final dried texture of the grout like? Does it look like a sanded or unsanded grout--or something in between, or what? Would we be able to see samples of the actual product (to see texture) somewhere?

If the 00 white is "yellower" than the Avalanche, as you implied, it is probably a good white for my tiles! Would you say that it is closer in shade to the Keracolor 00 white than the Ultracolor 00 white then? (I have tried both and the Ultracolor grout seemed to have almost a subtle bluish-pinkish, or purplish undertone next to my tiles. I did not see this in the regular Keracolor white at all, though.) My tiles are close in color to your "French Vanilla" color grout--in fact --I even tried that color grout, in desperation, too! (not enough contrast, though!). Then I tried mixing the French Vanilla with the White (both ultracolor) to try and create a "warm" ,yellow-undertoned white. I made three attempts, but all three were too yellow, LOL. So then I thought I might as well just wait to see about this new product before any more of my "trial and error" mixing!

Is there any chance that a DIY'er whose already tried 4 other bags of your grout, might get a free sample bucket?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #47
Peerless Tile
Tile Contractor

A MAPEI surprise showed up on my porch yesterday. It wasn't ticking so I brought it in. Thanks for including me.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #48
2FISH

I received mine last week and did some testing on boards. Boards consisted of 1"x1" porcelain mosaics, 2"x2"glazed ceramics and 6"x12" porcelain. I have to say I am really happy about what I saw both while grouting and today when I did a "final" wash. A very easy grout to float. Pre wetting tile went a long way.
You have to get on it fairly quickly but otherwise this product is cake to install and clean. I did an initial cleaning but left a film/residue on purpose. I wanted to see if it was similar to epoxy as far as difficulty in removing haze after a day or two. Well, the haze was evident after a few days but with a sponge and some water it came right off. Probably shouldn't call it a haze but instead a residue. Finish product is handsome. Nice tight joints (I simply rest my hand on sponge) and the finished product has no gloss or shine like most epoxy or urethane grouts.
I will be doing some testing on polished stone and glass next.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #49
Proven One
mess maker

I should be receiving a sample myself soon but to those of you that have already tested it....

How is the hardness? I do you think it could stand up to animal traffic?
Old 03-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #50
Jason12479

Can that grout be steam cleaned or is it like some urethane grouts after 110 degrees it breaks down. So I hear. True?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #51
Distinctive Tile Works
Tile Contractor

I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #52
Jc0379
Josh B & S Home Improvement/ Owner

Just wanted to say thanks to Dan and Mapei for sending out samples, received mine at the office today!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #53
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Mine came yesterday. I have a shower next week that will be the test. Will report in with review.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #54
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Jason, I'm checking on the steam cleaning recommendation with our product line manager for you, I'll let you know.

Glad you're starting to get your trial buckets. Fish, thanks for the feedback on the workability and cleanability, I'm glad you liked the product and let us know how it goes with the polished stone and glass. In our internal tests, it passed with flying colors (we even used glass tiles for our product demonstrations at Surfaces).

As for the question about the aggregate size, it is smaller than typical sanded grouts which is why it can be used for grout joints as small as 1/16". However, as was noted above, the finished appearance of the grout looks like a sanded grout with a slightly rough appearance and not shiny.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #55
mmullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Can that grout be steam cleaned or is it like some urethane grouts after 110 degrees it breaks down. So I hear. True?
That can't be right.

If a grout couldn't handle 110F, it couldn't be used on any floor that received direct sunlight. A surface in direct sunlight can easily reach temperatures hot enough to fry an egg.

Also, urethane grout is based on some of the same technology used in the clear coats of modern cars. They have a good history of being able to handle the high temperatures of direct sun, even on a black car roof.

Of course steam is even hotter so I await official word from the company.
mmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #56
JP Tile & Stone

Received my sample on Monday. Thanks! One thing I noticed was that lid doesn't seal well when its unopened. There was an air leak at the tear away tabs on both sides, and I could smell the grout through the unopened package. When I opened the bucket the plastic cover was embedded halfway down into the grout and a small portion of the grout seemed as if it had started to dry.

Last edited by JP Tile & Stone; 03-27-2014 at 08:13 PM.
JP Tile & Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #57
Jason12479

Thanks mike. Didn't think that would actually happen. Also didn't realize that some tile on the floor would get that hot. Just heard from and flooring installer who grouted this lady's shower and she called back the company who grouted it and said that her grout was half washed away when she took a hot shower. Don't remeber what grout it was but he read the back and it said not to use for 7 days.... Urathane grout I was told. Maybe should stick with what he always uses from now on I told him or stick to the carpet and hardwood installations. Lol.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #58
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
If you're going to compare different types of products you might start calling them "single component" grouts. A number of them are not based on urethane.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #59
jwmezzanotte

Thanks Dan!

Will post again when I get a chance to try it. Ill collect some scrap and make a sample board.
Attached Images

jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #60
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Thanks for the feedback on the lid, Jeremy, I have passed it along to our product line manager. Typically these will get shipped out in a carton that holds two pails and the cartons will be wrapped on a pallet so yours may have gotten jostled in shipment more than usual, but we'll definitely look into it.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase