Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #136
Mathelo

I'm installing this herringbone marble tile that measures 1" x 3" over Ditra Heat.

I'm planning on pre-filling the Ditra Heat with MAPEI Porcelain modified. I'd like to use the same to set the tile because of the extra strength and the fact that the 1" x 3" tiles are out of spec with Schluter's published requirements even though they told me it is okay. They did recommend setting the tile with an unmodified mortar but given that these tiles are as small as they are, I can't imagine that drying time will be a big issue.

What do you think?

Louis
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #137
rmckee84

I wouldn't have a problem using modified to set it, but make sure and use a white thinset. I don't use that particular thinset so I cant speak to its performance over ditra heat or with marble.

You have to be careful prefilling over ditra heat, sometimes while kneeling after it's prefilled the thinset will pop out of the little nubs the wire seats around.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #138
Mathelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmckee84
I wouldn't have a problem using modified to set it, but make sure and use a white thinset. I don't use that particular thinset so I cant speak to its performance over ditra heat or with marble.

You have to be careful prefilling over ditra heat, sometimes while kneeling after it's prefilled the thinset will pop out of the little nubs the wire seats around.
Yes, white is in the plans.

I've used Laticrete in the past but this is easier to get at Lowes. It is suppose to be equivalent to Mapei UF2.

Thanks for the pointer on pre-filling. I'll be extra cautious after it is filled.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #139
mark999

Did you pour a slc as a base for the ditra heat? It is recomended to have the floor flat before installing ditra.As far as thinset goes If you can get Latticrete products I would use their trilite. It is designed for LFT and non sag but works great on all kinds and sizes of tile. Use a wood beating block and or a rubber float to embed and level your tiles. then check with the feel of your hands.If you do not use to big of a notch trowel you should not get hardly any ooze out of thinset into joints. But keep a toothbrush handy in your water bucket. On the other hand make sure you are getting proper coverage with the thinset(pull 1 or 2 sheets and check when you start out. And I would seal all the marble tile and let dry prior to setting.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #140
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

After you fill the Ditra Heat, check the floor for small valleys and humps. If you walked on the Dita Heat after you put it down, sometimes the thinset will mash under the Ditra causing a low spot. I have found this to be a problem with regular Ditra more than the Ditra Heat mat but it might be worth checking. The reason I mention it is because the small tiles will follow any flaws in the floor. Doesn't cause as much of a problem when using larger tiles over Ditra.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #141
Mathelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark999
Did you pour a slc as a base for the ditra heat? It is recomended to have the floor flat before installing ditra.As far as thinset goes If you can get Latticrete products I would use their trilite. It is designed for LFT and non sag but works great on all kinds and sizes of tile. Use a wood beating block and or a rubber float to embed and level your tiles. then check with the feel of your hands.If you do not use to big of a notch trowel you should not get hardly any ooze out of thinset into joints. But keep a toothbrush handy in your water bucket. On the other hand make sure you are getting proper coverage with the thinset(pull 1 or 2 sheets and check when you start out. And I would seal all the marble tile and let dry prior to setting.
I did not pour slc because the floor is almost an inch higher at the hallway than the outside wall. The slc would have resulted in too large a transition. I have spread MAPEI Uncoupling Membrane Medium Bed mortar using a homemade screed board to get it level. A real pain in the ass but I'm hoping good enough. After laying the Ditra Heat I'll check again for low spots.

I have set small tiles before, a basket weave,
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?t=104690
and they are truly a pain but that is what the wife wants.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #142
Mathelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy
After you fill the Ditra Heat, check the floor for small valleys and humps. If you walked on the Dita Heat after you put it down, sometimes the thinset will mash under the Ditra causing a low spot. I have found this to be a problem with regular Ditra more than the Ditra Heat mat but it might be worth checking. The reason I mention it is because the small tiles will follow any flaws in the floor. Doesn't cause as much of a problem when using larger tiles over Ditra.
Louis
Mathelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #143
Mathelo

Question Waterproof the floor or not?

I'm trying to decide whether to Kerdi Band the room perimeter and the seams in the Ditra. I tend to overdo and I'm thinking this is a case of that.

This is a typical bathroom with a tub and overhead shower. I will be tiling up the walls.

The likelihood of water at the perimeter seems unlikely but of course it will happen at some point. Is this enough reason to Kerdi Band the room and floor?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #144
rmckee84

Necessary, no. But it certainly won't hurt anything.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #145
Mathelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmckee84
Necessary, no. But it certainly won't hurt anything.
But do you think it is worth the effort? Would you do it?
Old 12-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #146
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

I do it all the time, but then we are over the top , OCD nut jobs.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:01 PM   #147
Mathelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Remodeler
I do it all the time, but then we are over the top , OCD nut jobs.
Sadly I can relate.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #148
Mathelo

Trowel size?

What size trowel would you use with this 1" x 3" herringbone tile? I'm thinking 1/4" x 3/16" v-notch.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mathelo; 12-30-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Mathelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #149
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Sounds about like the right size. I'd check the floor with a straight edge. Those small tiles will follow every hill and valley.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:13 AM   #150
Mathelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy
Sounds about like the right size. I'd check the floor with a straight edge. Those small tiles will follow every hill and valley.
Yea, I know. I'm spending lots of time making sure the floor is level.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase