Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-11-2004, 10:48 PM   #1
cmarquise

moisture in grout

I just recently finished my kitchen and, in the process, laid a new slate floor over a concrete subfloor. There didn't appear to be any moisture problems before the floor was laid. After a couple of months, I started to notice discoloration in the light-colored grout on one side of the kitchen. I tried to clean it with a brush with no luck. When I dug out some of the grout with my dremmel I noticed moisture, which I'm sure was the culprit. My question is, what are my options for contoling the moisture now that the floor is laid? Would an epoxy grout (or some other type) prevent the moisture from resurfacing. I'm not sure what the source of the moisture is yet, but it seems to just be under the floor. I did have a toilet that leaked through the ceiling and onto the floor and the water sat for a while. Could this be the moisture still trapped under the tile?
cmarquise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2004, 10:55 PM   #2
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Hello C, welcome to the forum. Got a first name?
How bout a few questions first: How long ago was the toilet leak? Are the slate & grout sealed? If so what type of sealer? Is the slab on or below grade? Is the discolored area near an exterior wall? What's your climate been like lately? Any possibliity of rain water being routed to the house (instead of away) near the moisture problem?
Old 03-11-2004, 11:57 PM   #3
cmarquise

Hi Tom,

The first name is Christian, thanks for asking and responding to my post. Let's see, lots of questions. The toilet leak was about a month ago. Both the slate and grout have been sealed with TileLab's Gloss Sealer and Finish. The kitchen is on the second story of a townhouse (everything, including walls, floor and kitchen soffit are made of concrete here) and it's above grade.I don't think rain is getting in. We haven't had much rain here lately. What I think might have happened is that the water from the toilet leaked by the wall and got under the floor. Since the floor is not perfectly level (this place was built in 1942), it settled in the area where the grout was stained. There really are not any moisture problems anywhere else in my place. I was thinking about digging the grout out with my dremmel and regrouting, but that's a lot of trouble if the problem resurfaces. I wonder if it might help to leave it unsealed to allow any moisture to escape. Any opinions?
Old 03-12-2004, 03:06 AM   #4
Dave Gobis
da Man!

If it is residual moisture as you suspect it will dry out and return to it's normal color. I would leave it be for awhile.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 05:38 AM   #5
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Christian, Welcome

You don't want to seal the moisture in! As mentioned above, 1st see if it will dry out. I'm sure the standing water, caused the problem. How long has it been since the water leak was stopped? Sometimes a fan will help.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:52 AM   #6
cmarquise

The water leak has been stopped for almost a month now. A lot of water sat on the floor for a couple of days, though. I just stared to notice the discoloring a week or so ago. Probably took a while to wick to the surface.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:38 AM   #7
Dave Gobis
da Man!

I had a Mex tile job with a washer leak that took 4 months to dry out.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com