Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
elduderino

Quartz Floor Tile Install - Total Noob

So I'd like to install quartz tile in my dining room. I've done as much research as I could find online about how to install it, but it still scares me. (I must DIY it, otherwise I would pay for it to be done if I had the cash) I found the 24 x 24 tile for $2.50 a sq ft at habitat for humanity restore, so I can't really beat that. Room is 185 sq ft if that matters.

From what I read, I should thin set the plywood, apply durock over it and screw it down. Tape the seams with fiberglass tape, and thin set the seams. That's what I have for the prep part.

As far as the actual install, I'm seeing I should not be using thin set, but instead being using an epoxy to lay the tiles. While I have never laid tile on a floor, my father who's helping me out has done quite a few, but all being ceramic.

Any advice or tips would be HUGELY appreciated. Even if they consist of, "Dude, you're gonna mess it all up". I'd rather know now, than when it's tool late and I'm stuck with a screwed up floor.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Jeff.

First consideration is that you're dealing with a natural stone tile and you should first ensure that your floor structure and subflooring are adequate for the application. While ceramic tile installations over wood framed floors require a deflection in both joists and subfloor of L/360 or less, natural stone requires L/720 or less, a far, far more rigid floor.

And natural stone tile requires a double layer of plywood or OSB subflooring regardless the joist spacing.

That's the first thing you need to be checking and correcting.

Over that subflooring you can add a CBU (your Durock) or other tiling membrane and tile. Read and follow the manufacturer's installation instructions for whatever tiling substrate you choose.

Second major consideration, and one you'll want to incorporate in your subflooring upgrade, is that your floor must be very, very flat to accommodate those large format tiles.

The tile industry standard for substrate flatness for tiles that size requires no deviation from intended plane of more than 1/8th" in any 10 feet and no more than 1/16" in any two feet. That is an extraordinarily flat floor and you're gonna find that you'd really like yours to be better than that.

I would strongly recommend you also invest in a mechanical tile flattening system to aid you in setting those tile without excessive lippage. There area a number of such systems on the market. Two that spring to mind and with which we (TYW in general) have a good deal of experience are the TLS and the MLT, each of which have a great deal of feedback here on the forums.

Those big stones are not for sissies.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......

Last edited by cx; 10-17-2013 at 07:49 PM.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
PetrH

In addition to what CX said, you don't need epoxy to set Quartzite. What you need is a modified Medium bed mortar, or a thinset mortar designed for large format tiles.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Arizona Floors
Boswell Flooring

I've been seeing granirapid mostly specified for Quartz tiles. I've also seen huge jobs fail, around the 5 year mark, from using regular modified thinset, they were completely unbonded. Quartz moves way too much to bond with regular thinset.

Granirapid

Last edited by Arizona Floors; 10-17-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: correcting the link
Arizona Floors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
elduderino

So with the Granirapid, do I need the 2-part version, or just the "white"? Also do they sell this at home depot or lowes, or do I need to find a more specialized store? (I assume ... or not, I can't put links in my post. Think I found it on the lowes site ) Will the 1 bag cover 200 sq ft?

The Tuscan leveling system looks pretty awesome, I have to say.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com