Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
Treasury

Tiling up to a corner

I have tiles that are not finished on the edges. I'm tiling a simple bathtub surround and will have the tile come up to a corner. I may use another type of trim tile to act as a bullnose or I may use a schluter edge. Either way the tile will not be tight to the corner edge since the width of the thinset will be sandwiched between the tile and the corner. What is the best way to finish this edge?

Also, should I bring the tiles right to the corner? Or should I set them back a 1/2 inch, or so?

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Martin,

You've already mentioned the two most popular ways to trim the edge of your field tiles. Another less popular, and more expensive way to handle this is to send some of your field tiles to a fabrication shop (or do it yourself with a 200-300 bucks worth of equipment) to have an edge on each tile bullnosed. It has a nice clean modern look to it. It is generally done on porcelain and stone tiles. But fairly less often on ceramic due to the requirement of having to also paint the newly formed edge with glazing. That same glazing step isn't necessarily required on porcelain...and never required on stone.

About the distance you should locate the tiles from the corner: Tile is installed level and plumb. The closer the tile is to the corner, the easier it is to identify a wall that happens to be un-plumb. So, if your corners are deal level, feel free to go as close to them as you like. Otherwise, hide the fact that your corners are un-level by holding the tile back from them a bit. The further they are from the corner, the harder it is to see the problem.

“The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.”
-Abraham Lincoln
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
Treasury

Okay, so I checked how straight that vertical corner is and it bows a bit so I'll take your advice and set the edge of the tiles back about 1 inch from the corner.

I'm going to use Schluter edging but I'm not sure what size to use. My tile is 5/16" thick so I took a small piece of a tile to the store and put it up against a 5/16" schluter edge. It fits perfectly. However, is it practice to use a 3/8" schluter edge to allow for a bit of thinset or should one match the exact size of the schluter edge to the exact width of the tile?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
reefone
tile setter

match the tile thickness and the trim thickness. if you use the 3/8" it will most likely sit up higher then the tile.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Treasury

Okay, cool, I'll match the Schluter Jolly to the tile thickness.

Another question........ I'm going to run the Schluter Jolly up the wall and stop about a foot from the ceiling. My thought is that it's going to be just about impossible to cut the edging to the exact length required ahead of time. So, should I do a rough cut a bit longer to start and then do a final precise cut when I'm at the last tile? If so, what is the best tool to make that cut? Is there a better way?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
Houston Remodeler

Cut later (we use a right angle grinder)

OR make a 'story pole' as shown below

OR leave the last row of tiles out until you have the rest of the field finished.
Attached Images

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
goodlife

Go to the ceiling with your tiles if you have enough. You should use nothing smaller than a 3/8 trim with those tiles because of the thinset building tiles out. What size trowel are you using? Depending on the amount of bow your wall has I think you should either follow it (jolly will bend a bit) and cut some tiles on a small angle or split the difference in the bow and run the jolly plumb do a little plaster work on the outside and then paint.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Treasury

Unfortunately, I don't have enough tiles to go to the ceiling. I had to fire my tiling contractor because he screwed up the tiling around the countertop so bad I had to remove it. Now I don't have enough tiles to go to the ceiling in the tub area.

I did buy 5/16" Jolly but will exchange it for 3/8" now. There must be some room left for the thinset......

I have a grinder and can cut the edging on the wall just before the last row and the story board idea seems like the best way to go but I've done neither...... So, I'll be debating this for a while.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
Treasury

I have another question.... I'm going to add a single horizontal strip of tile and I'd like to know if I must leave a grout line between the tiles. I prefer the look of the tiles without the grout line but perhaps that is not good practice. Please advise? I've included a couple of pictures of what I am referring to below.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Houston Remodeler

yes, grout lines are highly advised, even if they are 1/64"

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:57 AM   #11
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Even when you want no grout joint at all, Martin, the minimum industry recommendation is 1/16th of an inch.

My opinion; worth price charged.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #12
Giuseppex

Use the flat edge of your trowel as a spacer and guide.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com