Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-21-2001, 10:08 AM   #1
tincanman99

I just finished my kitchen floor and it came out great! Thanks for all your advice.

Anyway I have a 50lb bag of Flexbond white mortar left over (opened 1/3 used). I need to regrout my bathroom floors and shower walls on the 2nd floor.

My question is can I use the mortar in the grout lines instead of grout? They are both white and the mortar gets rock hard but is flexible because its Flexbond.

Is this a bad idea or should I just go buy a bag of grout (its not going to kill me $ mind you). Just figure why why waste the mortar.

Thanks.

John
tincanman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2001, 02:35 PM   #2
David Miller

John: I'd offer you my advice, but I'm the idiot who paid $103 for a quart of grout sealer, so I don't think I'd listen to me, if I was you.

But I figure grout is grout and thinset is thinset. Otherwise they'd just sell one or the other. Somebody with some real experience is probably going to be able to answer your question shortly.

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 03:19 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Right-o David.

No, use grout. The thin set would make an awful mess. For the wall tiles use unsanded "dry wall" grout. If the floor joints are wider, use sanded grout there.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com