Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
MHMT
Dubs

16x16 Travertine Install Tips

I'm installing 16x16 travertine on a 1500 sq ft floor. Subfloor is 3/4" tongue and groove OSB, with joists 2X8 16" on center. We would like to add radiant floor heating. I'm thinking Warm Wire.

Without the floor heating, I would add a layer of 1/2" plywood, then use Ditra XL for my underlayment.

However, with the Warm Wire, can I set the wire directly over my subfloor, add a 1/4 - 3/8" layer of leveling compound, then the Ditra XL? Or must I install that 1/2" plywood in addition to the leveling compound.

I'm not comfortable setting natural stone on such a large floor surface (over subfloor), let alone add radiant heating to the mix.

Any suggestions? Should I consider another source for the floor heat?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Can't help you evaluate your joist system without you tell us the unsupported span, Dubs.

You must have a double layer of subflooring for natural stone tiles regardless the joist spacing. Your heating system may count as a tiling substrate, but not as part of the structure.

You'll need also to check with the SLC manufacturer for the minimum thickness required.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......

Last edited by cx; 11-06-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: typo
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
MHMT
Dubs

16X16 Trav

The joist span is 19/2. The deflection rating is 619 at the lowest, all the way up to over 900.

What about the idea of setting 1/2" cement backer board directly over the subfloor, then use a high flex thinset for the tile install?

The caveat here is that half of the floor already has 1/4" cbu tacked down. If this wasn't the case, I'd add 3/8" ply over the subfloor, then resume with Ditra.

I am considering leaving the 1/4" cbu in place, adding another layer of 1/4", and then use 1/2" cbu throughout the rest of the floor to bring it up to level. With a good deflection rating, I assume the travertine install should be okay.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs
The joist span is 19/2. The deflection rating is 619 at the lowest, all the way up to over 900.
'Fraid I don't understand what you mean there. What is a span of "19/2" please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
You must have a double layer of subflooring for natural stone tiles regardless the joist spacing.
Perhaps you missed that in my last post. Your CBU, like your proposed heating system, can be a tiling substrate, but adds nothing at all to the subfloor structure. You must still have a double layer of plywood or OSB under the tiling subatrate for natural stone tile.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com