Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-20-2004, 07:13 PM   #1
Spedprof

Granite imperfections?

Folks,

Had my Lady's Dream granite installed today and it is lovely!!

But I notice two things...

One, there is a small crack, felt as I run my hand along the surface, about 3-4 inches long, right in front of the sink. Should I be concerned? Did the fabricator do something as he cut out the space for the sink? Is there anything I can or should do?

Two, at a few spots, usually darker than the rest of the surface, there is no shine and I feel it to be a bit rough. It feels as if the rest of the surface was nicely made smooth and shiny but these spots were missed. Since they are a darker color of the granite, does that sound acceptable? Were those spots just "missed" as he polished the granite? As he sealed the granite?

Advice on what I can or should do, please.

Thanks in advance.
Spedprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2004, 08:37 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Guess we need the stone folks on this one. Hang tight.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 01:19 AM   #3
Maurizio Bertoli

Dear ??:
When you say "he" I assume that you make reference to your fabricator.
No, he didn't miss anything and sealing has nothing to do with anything when it comes to surface finish.
Granite slabs are polished in the factory (not your fabricator) by abrasion and friction, like gemstone, and not by putting some sort of sealer onto them.
That said, those darker spots are natural flaws in the stone. They have not been missed by the automatic polishing line. They've been missed by the "Man upstairs!" The minerals forming those spots have not enough natural crystals that could get a polished.
About your crack, considering where it is located, yes, I would be concerned, and very much so! Did "he" rod the narrow spots in front and back of the sink?
Ciao and good luck,
Old 02-21-2004, 02:09 AM   #4
Shaughnn
Tile Contractor & Trowel Monkey

another possibility

Considering that your fabricator/installer left the crack at the sink, I'm kinda wondering if maybe those "rough" spots might not be a botched epoxy patch too? If they had tried to address some surface imperfection and weren't very carefull, they might have left those spots less polished than the rest of the slab. Either way, I think you've probably got a decent arguement to getting the slab replaced. The crack at the sink is probably due to not having been reinforced with a stainless steel rod which is them bedded in epoxy. Without that precaution, those narrow places in your slab are extremely vulnerable to cracking or worse.
I hate it when I come across slab guys who don't take care of even simple things like that. It really effects all of us in the trowel trades down the line.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 10:50 AM   #5
Mike2

Spedprof: Now that it's a day later, I'm curious...how much longer is that crack?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:47 PM   #6
Steven Hauser
STT Owner

Hello,

If you can post a picher that would be great.

Generally, a crack right in front of the sink or cooktop represents an opportunity for the installer/fabricator.

They can either fix it(material dependent) or replace it.

The two spots can be natural as Maurizio says, which would mean do nothing.

Shaughnn could be correct that something may be on the stone. If that is the case then it can be scraped off with a razor blade. The blade would be held flat to the counter and scraped across the occlusion.

my .02

Steven
Products and Practices Perfected™
STT Sealers with Attitude!®
Steven Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:19 PM   #7
Spedprof

Folks,

Thanks for all the info..

The cracks (there are two about 3/4 inch apart, each about 3-4 inches) are the same as yesterday... Just feelable as they break the smoothness of the surface and noticeable if you look for them. One that goes over into the sink can be seen going about 1/2 inch down from the surface.

I did take some pictures but don't know how to send them to you. I do not have a website to use.

The spots are probably just a different substance in the granite... there are two such spots that have not been shined up. Both are scaly looking dark grey or black. The fact that both are the same color suggests to me that they could not take the shine but I'd like to hear that thought confirmed.

Thanks again.

Joel
Old 02-21-2004, 03:30 PM   #8
Stoneguy

Send a message via AIM to Stoneguy Send a message via Yahoo to Stoneguy
Sorry if I sound like a numbskull for asking this:

Is "Ladys Dream" the name of the stone, or a reference to finally getting the wife her dream kitchen counters??

I'm in agreement with the others that the dull spots >>may<< be natural wierdities (hows that for a techno term) in the stone. I have to wonder though, if there are only two of these wierdities in the whole counter, why the he!! the fabricater did not cut around these bad spots when he fabbed the job.

Regarding the crack at the cutout, thats absolutely unacceptable in my book

David
Old 02-21-2004, 03:51 PM   #9
Bea Tyler

How to post a photo

Spedprof, I just learned how to do this!

When you post your reply, there is an Attach file block beneath where you type your post. Hit the Browse button to find your file on your hard drive and it will be sent along with your text.

Sorry to hear about your counter top. I don't have a nice one yet (maybe someday) but I would sure not want a crack in a new one - I would ask for a replacement.

Bea
Bea Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 05:01 PM   #10
Spedprof

Folks,

Thanks for your patience.

The name of the granite was "Lady's Dream" You can see a slab of it at: http://www.montgranite.com/CD-ROM/gr...adys-Dream.htm

I have attached sveral pictures... There are three blemishes and I've tried to get unedited pictures of all three.

I've alos included several pictures of the crack that I've edited in color or sharpness for clarity. The crack runs right thru what looks like a "birthmark" to me and there is another just a 1/2 inch away.

Thanks again.

Joel
Old 02-21-2004, 05:57 PM   #11
Bea Tyler

Joel, I don't see your pictures - they must not have made it through. They can only be certain types - gif, jpg, jpeg, and png.

Also they can only be 52K in size, and I think (might be wrong), you can only send one at a time (just add another reply for each one). If your file sizes are too big, they can be re-saved at lower resolution with Windows Paint program - Save as .jpg. Sorry if you already know this, just trying to help.

Bea
Bea Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 06:01 PM   #12
WilliamL

Is that where the slab came from?If so where are you located?
WilliamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 06:03 PM   #13
Spedprof

Folks,

Sorry bout the pictures... I'll try to only send a few.... Here's one that shows the crack in relation to the outside (adjacent dishwaher) and the inside (sink).

Thanks
Old 02-21-2004, 06:13 PM   #14
Spedprof

Folks,

It appears that I did not save nor send JPEG photos. Sorry, I'll quit now and stop wasting your time.

Thanks for the help anyway...

If you want to see the photos, I think I saved them in a different format, send me an email to jmittler@liu.edu

Thanks again and I'll get back to you when this is resolved.

Joel
Old 02-21-2004, 06:20 PM   #15
Stoneguy

Send a message via AIM to Stoneguy Send a message via Yahoo to Stoneguy
That's certainly a beautiful stone.

I'd guess the unpolished rough areas you describe are an area of much softer material. Often when slabs are sliced at the factory, the abrasive used in the gang saw will erode into soft areas, leaving a low spot in the rough cut slab's face. Then the slab runs through the automatic polishing process, and oftentimes it is not ground quite far enough to even up these slightly deeper errosions. It's likely this is the situation with your counters.

If you only had dull areas, I would contribute that to to the soft areas just won't take a polish. However, since the areas are also rough, I'm guessing the slab was never ground quite far enough.

A very talented restoration individual >>might<< be able to resin over those spots, then repolish an area slightly larger than the spots to a higher degree of shine & smoothness. An average ability individual would almost certainly make it look worse.

If it were me, I'd just appreciate the overall beauty of the tops, and accept that natural stone, particularly a highly variagated material like yours, is, well, natural, and imperfections are often normal.

OR, if it really bothers you,

Does the shop who fab'ed the job have any more full slabs in stock? If they do, you could go look at them very closely, with the aid of a hand held lamp, and see if there are similar 'imperfections' in all the slabs. If the other slabs don't have the same things, raise a stink & have them re-do with the other stock, or have someone re-work yours onsite, assuming they have a qualified man for the job. If you see some in all the slabs, you will most likely have to live with it.

As for the cracks at the sink, I'll stick to my opinion that this peice shoud be replaced, and that the new top should have Stainless Steel reinforcing rods epoxied in front of & behind all cutouts.

Try again with the pictures, I'm very curious to see a good close up.

David

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com