Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Papuz

Kerdi boards and paint question

I am remodeling my bathtub area and it is open to the studs. I am very interested in attaching kerdi board to the studs and avoiding the work of cement boards and vapor barriers etc. My question is this........has anyone attached kerdi boards directly to the studs using kerdi approved or non approved accessories E.g screws, kerdi bands, and once you have done this what was your success? My second question is this. Has anyone painted the exposed side of the kerdi board with enamel or high gloss paint and thus avoid the need to tile the kerdi board. I have a design it mind that includes part tile on the board and the rest is a high gloss painted. I understand I will need to be very careful and methodical about applying thin set to the tiled areas to avoid the painted areas.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Papuz

Kerri boards and paint question

I am remodeling my bathtub area and it is open to the studs. I am very interested in attaching kerdi board to the studs and avoiding the work of cement boards and vapor barriers etc. My question is this........has anyone attached kerdi boards directly to the studs using kerdi approved or non approved accessories E.g screws, kerdi bands, and once you have done this what was your success? My second question is this. Has anyone painted the exposed side of the kerdi board with enamel or high gloss paint and thus avoid the need to tile the kerdi board. I have a design it mind that includes part tile on the board and the rest is a high gloss painted. I understand I will need to be very careful and methodical about applying thin set to the tiled areas to avoid the painted areas.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Papuz.

I've separated two of your apparently identical questions from two other threads to prevent confusion in both places. Posting the same question in more than one place results in confusion and duplication of effort, too. Please keep all your project questions here. We can give the thread a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one. Thanks.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Papuz

Thanks...appreciate it.:yo:

Old 10-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Papuz,

I have done what you describe. The wet area of the shower has to be tile, but the Kerdi-board outside the wet area can be painted after it has been gone over with a coat of drywall mud. Below, the wall to the left of the mirror is Kerdi-board.
Attached Images

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com