Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
awhiteman28

6 x 24 Wood Look Tile

I am installing the same tile, I had a question. I used a 1/4 x 1/4 notch trowel but used just a slight angle when troweling out thin set. I pulled up several pieces to check coverage and it was 80% plus. I know on larger tile you should try and use a 1/4x3/8 trowel but I went with the tiles width of six inches to determine trowel size. Any comments would be very helpful.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
prostuff1

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhiteman28
I am installing the same tile, I had a question. I used a 1/4 x 1/4 notch trowel but used just a slight angle when troweling out thin set. I pulled up several pieces to check coverage and it was 80% plus. I know on larger tile you should try and use a 1/4x3/8 trowel but I went with the tiles width of six inches to determine trowel size. Any comments would be very helpful.
From what I have read and been told a 1/2 x 1/2 square notch is what is normally used for these floor tiles. the 6 inch wide does not matter so much and the tile is still considered large format.

When I do my upstairs and first floor I will be putting down a lot of this wood look tile and will be going with the above mentioned size of trowel.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Aaron.

Your trowel type and size should be whatever gives you the necessary coverage on the back of each tile while providing a minimum of 3/32nds" mortar thickness after the tiles are set.

If your substrate is suitably flat and your tiles are suitably flat, there is no need for an excessively large notch size.

Keep in mind that 80 percent coverage is the absolute minimum and you really want to get as close to 100 percent as possible. And you always want good coverage on all edges and corners.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
karlkatzke

Aaron, are you back burning the tiles?

"Itís not enough to be aware of the domain youíre working in, you need to understand it. Noticing things and being curious about how they work is the single most common trait I see in creative people. Once you can break the components down, you can put them back together into something brand new." - Seth Godin
karlkatzke is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com