Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
threenorns

about mixing mastic

hi - i'm doing a kitchen backsplash for my sister. it's a bunch of skinny-wee random tiles, mixed glass and stone (marble, travartine, and who knows what else) in various shades from cream through black coffee. looks lovely.

NEVER use it if you haven't already - it's a total pita.

anyway, the store said i have to use mastic but not the kind in the bucket bec it would stain the marble. i bought a bag of white powdered mastic.

thing is, the instructions are only for mixing the entire 25lb bag which i certainly don't need. i've been eyeballing it and the stuff seems to be operating as per spec, but i was wondering: i add powder until it's the consistency of cream cheese spread that still a little cool from the fridge. the instructions say to mix for 5min (with a power tool but i'm using the handle from a wooden spoon), rest 10min, then mix another 2min. i'm going to have *great* upper body development from this.

i'm mixing small batches (about 2 cup measure) at a time, as the bag is pretty emphatic about not mixing up more than you can use pretty quickly.

it starts off fairly thick - a big blob just hangs out in mid-air as if cantilevered - but after i've mixed it for 5min, it changes - it becomes "floopy", kinda. more like a very thick whipped cream. it still hangs onto the spoon but it droops when it didn't before (it doesn't actually fall off, though).

is it supposed to be like this? i can't find anything on the next and while i have proceeded with the job (not wanting to live here the rest of my natural life), i'm just curious.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Three.

In the tile industry the term "mastic" applies to organic adhesives and those are all packaged pre-mixed and ready to use. You generally do not wanna use any material of that type when setting any glass tiles or many natural stones.

If you'll tell us specifically what you're mixing up to set your tiles, perhaps someone will be better able to answer your questions.

A photo of your tiles might also be helpful. Use the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box to attach photos from storage on your computer.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
threenorns

hi and thank you for your response! =)

the stuff i'm using is Mapei Ultralight Mortar (deets can be found on their website - i can't post the link)

as for the tile, i've attached a picture (not my work). it's "Neo Splash Mocha Marble". my sister provided it but she bought dark grey thinset and sanded grout, which obviously cannot be used with this product. (very not charmed - way too many grout lines!!!!)
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
threenorns

yeah - definitely making a mental note to never use these type of tiles EVER AGAIN.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Exactly what product are you mixing, have a name on the bag?

You want a white modified thinset, those tile are on sheets and really aren't that bad to use, you just want to get enough coverage without any oozing out between the tile, the trowel size helps a lot here.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
threenorns

in theory, the tiles are on sheets. i guess it's my luck (or what happens when you buy discount) but the tiles generally fall off or break if you even look hard at them. i've experimented but it can't be helped - there's a fair bit of oozing. if i put enough to prevent it, the tiles don't stick. if i put enough that it oozes through, then the tiles stick hard enough that the little section i had to knock off bec there was a design change took part of the wall with it.

as i mentioned above, it's "mapei ultralight mortar".

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com