Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 09-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
jjelly

unpolished black marble shower floor turning white ...

I am perplexed about our new shower floor. This is a new install of eleganza tile (impressions) unpolished marble mosaic. The floor has been sealed and enhanced with a very good product (aquamix pro enhance & seal). This whitening started after the first time we used the shower. The rest of the floor looks great but around the edges there is a white cast. I am not sure what I can do to clean it without removing the sealer/enhancer. Any advice on how to fix it and what caused it would be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by jjelly; 09-16-2012 at 04:51 PM.
jjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

If after cleaning with the MB3 and a stiff brush see if it will come off with a flat blade.If it scrapes off you may have effloresence.If so try Aldon effloresence treatment,but do the whole floor as it may darken the stone.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Lump
Tile sales/installation central WI

If this is aqua mix enrich n seal it may be that too much sealer was left behind. If the product is not rubbed in and is just pooling it will turn white like this. Had this problem when I did slate in my own home in 2004 put too much sealer on.

Success is a ladder that cannot be climbed with your hands in your pocket.

NTCA Proud Member
ICRI certified moisture technician
Lump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Yes it could be sealer but i figured it would be all over the floor.Maybe not,you could always use some more sealer on a rag to help dissolve the old and wipe it off good.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Jeffrey, Welcome!

Could you provide us with a close up photo?

I have also seen Aqua Mix Enrich 'n Seal cloud over when over applied. I have not seen it turn white as your picture shows.

I think Dave is closer to his assessment of possibly being efflorescence. If you wipe it, do you get any white powdery residue?

Reapplying this particular sealer will not remove excessive buildup if it has already cured.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

Does the water bead up? The sealer might not have taken to the tiles. Sometimes if the case is in fact hard water, you might want to try Aqua Mix EFF Remover. It's non-acidic so you can use it over the sealer.

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase