Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
noreast

How would You Handles This - First Time Kerdi User

Hello All,

I'd first like to thank you for all of your past support. In fact I had posted on this bathroom in March, however I soon after got a stroke. I was very lucky however and I got to the hospital in time to receive TPA which healed me of my total paralysis on my right side. I was asked if I wanted the shot and risk bleeding to death or take it a possibly be healed! Very scary moment that left me with PTDS. Problem is I"m on 16 different meds and I'm not as sharp, or as motivated, as I was before. But I am trying to go on and finish the job on my own! Hey I'm only 57 and I have a lot of projects ahead!

Now for the question: I have the bath all prepped for sheet rock and I planned on using kerdi in the shower and ditra on the floor. As you can see I had planned to do a mud shower with a liner, as I have experience doing one and it came out mint. If I'm doing kerdi however do I have to use the kerdi on the shower floor or can install the shower base as I know and kerdi down to the base and then put corners to the base?

Not sure if I explaining it right . . . just took my daily dose of xanax!

Thanks again for any advise.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

You CAN do a hybrid shower like Bob says, but why? If you havent already, see the Kerdi-mud pan video here, to see that a full Kerdi shower isnt too much different than what you have done before and saves you time and steps.

I'd say pop for the Kerdi drain, skip the rubber liner and all its associated fun (corner notching or bulk, curb lapping flappiness, curb corner sealing, second mud bed pack, weep hole issues, then having a round drain cover to cut.)

Skip all that fun and just Kerdi the whole thing, pan and drain included. Cut a square hole and your down-the-road. More fun for sure and it'll add another merit badge to your tiling experience.

Note: is that a 1.5" drain or optical dilusion? If not a 2" drain, you will likely want to help it out with a larger throat. If its 2", then you'll need to make sure to get the proper Kerdi drain material, - ABS or PVC dependent on what its connecting to. Around my parts we dont see any PVC drain lines so just make sure you get the right stuff. Good luck

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
noreast

Thanks for the recommendations. The drain is 2 inch now, and I think I'm going to go with the full kerdi shower. it actually looks simpler!

Thanks again.

George
Old 08-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Yep. Simpler, more of a systems approach, warranteed if done right, and Mr. SchluterSystems will thank you.

Make sure to ask any questions as you go so you wont have to do a "How do I fix this" post.

A really good start would be:

Get the Kerdi e-book delivered to your computer in seconds.

Good luck

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
...I think I'm going to go with the full kerdi shower. it actually looks simpler!
I don't think there exists a simpler shower pan method than the traditional mud/liner/mud method, George, but the Kerdi system is quite doable, too.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

I like the kerdi/mud combo. One mud bed is simpler than 2, and mud is cheaper and more flexible than the Schluter shower pan.

Remember that drugs and power tools don't mix. When Mr. Wendy shattered his collarbone and broke his opposite wrist halfway through the bath project, I got to do ALL the work for a couple of months. I will say, he didn't take much convincing since he couldn't actually HOLD a drill or a torch. (it's funny now because he's totally healed).

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
noreast

Not Sure Which Kerdi Drain To Use?

Hello All,

So I'm getting ready to do my first Kerdi job and our local tile store has a Kerdi KD2/PVC/SS in stock. I plan on doing my own mud job on it and I wasn't sure if this would be applicable.

I'm going on top of plywood.

Sorry if this has been covered as I searched all over the site and couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

George
Old 09-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
cx

George, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like.

I think there's at least one more thread about the subflooring on this bathroom, but I've not brought that one in here.

That's an adapter drain for use when it's not possible to remove a clamping drain already installed. You neither need nor want that drain.

You want a standard Kerdi shower drain of ABS or PVC to match your drain plumbing material.

I very, very strongly recommend you go to the Schluter website and download the Kerdi Shower Systems Installation Handbook. I also recommend you purchase and download John Bridges Kerdi Shower eBook. And I recommend you do both before you take another step in your shower construction.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
noreast

Thanks CX,

I bought jb's book and I've checked the Shluter site, I just wasn't aware of the many kerdi drains until today.

Thanks for the reply, I had a feeling something wasn't right with that drain.

George
Old 09-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
noreast

One more question . . .

I made the mistake of spackeling inside the shower. I called Schulter and was advised to simply cover those areas with "any type of latex paint"

Does that seem right to you guys?

Thanks again,

George
Old 09-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
cx

I do not find that to be good advice. Some folks have recommended using a primer over the sheetrock mud, but I'd certainly not recommend "any type of latex paint." But I also don't work for Herr Schluter.

I'd be more inclined to advise you to remove as much of the mud and tape as possible, but you may not be inclined to do that. Second suggestion would be to simply Kerdi over what you have. Second suggestion would be more meaningful if I could first see just how much of this shower you've mudded with that gypsum product.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
noreast

Thanks again CX,

I'm not really sure why I did it . . . I guess its the meds

Here it is.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
cx

That's a lotta mud. I'd at least want to remove the tape and mud in the inside corners. You can thank me later.

Tearing it all out and re-doing with plain white gypsum board would be my best advice, though.

It really is soooo much easier to get a good flat surface and especially good corners when you're working with bare sheetrock.

But we know you're not fixin' to do that, don't we?

Old 09-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
noreast

Tile ready seat

Hello all!

and thanks again for your help. I'm looking to install a Preformed tile seat that calls for a modified thinnest. Ive already put up the kerdi membrane. I sent the seller a question and his response was as follows:

Dear mrnoreast,

You can use unmodified thin set but we recommend that you add an acrylic additive for best results.

- shoprhoee

It's a corner seat and I want to be sure it's going to hold. I was thinking about using the Ditraset I have and then look for a recommended acrylic.

Any comments or advise?

Thanks,

George
Old 09-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

George,

Is this one of them foam things? If yes, use pert near anything to get it to stick to the wall, then kerdi band it into place. The banding and tiles will keep it from moving.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase