Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
dudester

tiling over fiberglass shower pan lip

What is the recommended adhesive for attaching ceramic wall tiles to the fiberglass lip of a shower pan? There is no other material for a backer since the contractor back in the 90's started the full 4x4 piece of tile 1.5" above the side edge of the basin. The bottom of the lowest full 4x4 tile is 1/2" above the top of the entry threshold.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Jeff.

How 'bout you give us a hint what you're doing there, preferably with a photo or two. Use the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box to attach photos from storage on your computer.

I can think of no good reason for attaching a tile to the fiberglass of a shower receptor is the reason I'm asking.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
dudester

I dont have a pic . When the walls where tiled the contractor started outside the shower stall. They set a full piece on the bathroom floor and went up from there. When the edges or grout line went into the stall it was 1.5 above the edge where tile goes or the bottom of where the tile should have been and they cut 1.5" pieces to fill this gap of the wall at the bottom to keep the line straight, running across wall and into the shower. There is not much strength in that small piece with this fiberglass basin and I finally got fed up with resiliconing every 6 months and pulled the 1.5" tile out backi in 08. I stuffed grout up on the bottoms of the 4x4 tile that where above the smaller ones and have not had a mold or mildew problem since. With the grout, water is able to leach out instead of being blocked in with silicone and its high enough up it doesnt sit in water. My shower doors went bad, so i pickled up a new set, almost identical to what I had or so I thought. The uprights are made differant and to get a good seal I need to put the 1.5 pieces back. Best way to describe what I have is my 4x4 tile starts out 1.5 " high off the shower basin exposing the basin lip that goes against the studs.This 1.5" spot was not supposed to be seen and was supposed to be tiled over with a full piece.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com