Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 02-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #61
Lump
Tile sales/installation central WI

Quote:
I also just finished a job where I used Quartzlock2 on a kitchen backsplash and a tub surround both in glass and a front entrance floor of polished marble. it's beautiful stuff but it left a film on the tile. It can't be buffed off but I see I can carefully scrape it. I'm in trouble with the homeowner. My supplier didn't know what to do and sold me some Blaze. I've never used it before. He sold me some scotch pads too . Will this work? If so what is the procedure, and how can I avoid the QL2 haze next time?
posted by Gary

The haze will come off with blaze and white doodle bug. Star quartz 2 comes off on some times better that others. Next time you use it it may not have haze, its hit and miss depending on the tile surface. Never had one yet that the haze wont come off and we use it every day.

Here is the link on secondary star quartz cleaning.
http://www.bostik-us.com/sites/defau...uartzLock2.pdf

Success is a ladder that cannot be climbed with your hands in your pocket.

NTCA Proud Member
ICRI certified moisture technician

Last edited by Lump; 02-18-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Added link
Lump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #62
garybk

Thanks Guy's. I've avoided a lawsuit. Lol. So spray blaze on. Doodle bug it and then keep washing off a sew square feet at a time? My supplier said for my next quartzlock2 job to keep the area I am about to grout wet with a spray bottle. Does that sound right?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #63
Lump

Sometimes wetting the surface makes the grout a bit runny. Just plan on using blaze for future work.

See the cleaning link in post 61

NTCA Proud Member

Last edited by Lump; 02-18-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Added
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #64
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Quote:
posted by Steve Taylor:
There is still time to play the Fusion Pro Game. To date we have given out over 300 gift cards ranging from $10 to $50. Its free, so why not play.
Where do you go to play it? Lead the way...................... Chickenlegs, hey don't feel bad people laughed at me growing up my legs were so skinny. Fastest guy around though

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #65
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

This thread's managed to slip by me until now. The the warehouse I get most of my tile from is starting to push it, but I'm not big on being a guinea pig of sorts. For now, Prism's worked great for me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it I say.

If in a year or two all y'all are lining up saying how wonderful it is with no callbacks, I may sing a different tune.
MNTileGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #66
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Some here will get to use it in a few weeks at Custom's facility and you'll see some feedback here for sure. Maybe right here in this thread.

Stay tuned....

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #67
jwmezzanotte

Just found this thread as well.
(well, I did a search )

Local building supply has informed me that they have access to Custom product. In fact the prizm grout was called for on a job they are looking at supplying.

I usually use Mapei or Ardex product (as thats what is stocked here) but always looking at alternatives.
In my showers I have been using Kerapoxy, I like the consistant colors and havent seen it stain etc. Have seen the white yellow a bit though.
Anyhow, I like the Kerapoxy but I hate installing it. I've gotten much better with the product, but still not something I enjoy.

I'd be interested in trying the fusion pro on a simple tub surround or something similar and see how I like it.
On that chance that someone who has used both...
How does the installation (I mean effort wise, not necessarily procedure) of fusion pro compare to Kerapoxy?
Cant see how it could be worse..

I'm going to have to order some and give it a go.
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:18 AM   #68
jwmezzanotte

Also, which "grout release" is being refered to in this thread?
couldnt find that anywhere, though Its late, and I'm tired and could have missed it..

I'm gonna assume this one?
http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...t-release.aspx
()

and this grout haze remover?
http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...-clean-up.aspx

Thanks
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #69
Lump

Just grouted a shower floor with it last week. Still unsure if we love it, like it or hate it. Customers have complained about the strong smell that it has. jury is still out.......but we are still playing with it.

NTCA Proud Member
Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #70
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
John,

The Aquamix grout release is what we used when Fusion was demonstrated for us a while back. We didn't have a problem with haze at that time, but Marge just complained that she had haze when she used Fusion on a shower floor.

We are going to be at Custom's training center next week. Fusion will be on the agenda, and we'll be sure to check on the haze thing.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #71
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

I'll point out that the AquaMix grout release was a very scientific selection on our part. The demonstration was being conducted in John Cox's (jcsa) shop in San Antonio and there was a bottle on his shelf within a few feet of our test board.

When you do that kind of research, the selections are easy.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #72
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lump
Just grouted a shower floor with it last week. Still unsure if we love it, like it or hate it. Customers have complained about the strong smell that it has. jury is still out.......but we are still playing with it.
We started selling it online because of the demand for it. We have had a customer complain of the smell too. They said they were feeling nauseous after a couple of days and ended up scraping it out and regrouting.

I hope it is something they can fix.

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.

Last edited by StoneTooling; 02-26-2013 at 11:07 AM.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #73
jcmartin217
Flooring installer since 1990

Never used this product but have thought about it. Just read the msds and read some of your replies. I may be overly cautious but I would not have my customers any where around when using this product.

"Inhalation: If breathed in, move person into fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen"

If not breathing? I hope they have had no examples of this situation. I know that the msds can be overly dramatic as I tend to read them more as anti attorney instructions. But I was wondering if there are warning labels on the buckets themselves warning of inhalation leading to respritory irratation?

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...pro_062912.pdf

Martin's Custom Tile & Hardwood Design
Serving Central Illinois
jcmartin217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #74
jwmezzanotte

Ordered some. Gonna play in the shop.
Ill read the msds for sure. "Dont breath" sounds simple enough.. Heh
Old 03-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #75
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

Just finished using Fusion grout on an entryway floor. I am pleasantly impressed with the product. The consistency was just right, spread on and packed well, and cleanup was a breeze. If it wasn't for all the issues with grout haze from comparable products I think I could have been done with just one cleaning. Based on some of my past experience, asking questions, and plenty of reading on this thread, I damp sponged the floor, only did a few square feet at a time, and cleaned with a terry towel sponge. After finishing, I made one more wipe down of the tile with cool clean water. The next day showed no signs of haze except in the corners of the doorway. Those easily came off with a razor blade. I had a bottle of Nanoscrub just in case there was any major buildup. Yep, I'll definitely be using this product again.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase