Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 12-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #631
Ray Kenny

Look First!

I'm using the product right now for the first time. I'm putting a tile counter top and floor in my kitchen and wanted a good stain resistance grout. When using it the 2 min warning means 2 min's it dry's quick. but I like the finished look,
The only advice I'll give is to open the bucket in the store! the first bucket was black for the counter and it was perfect. Then I started doing the floor went to get the color I wanted and got it home what a surprise it was hard, not fully mixed. Took it back and got another one opened it up and it had a 3 inch crust on top. Took it back and showed the tile guy and he was surprised! So we had him open a third bucket and it was in good shape but that was his last one in that color I needed. went to another place and found the same problem hard and not good, but found the last 2 he had were good! I going to send a email with pics to the company.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #632
surgeon

Hi All,
Doing a shower project. My previous use of spectralock in other shower still looks good. Seen this FP stuff and Stainmaster at HD and no more spectralock at Lowes. Read through this thread and few others. Mixed info.

Is Fusion Pro still good to use on shower floor and walls? Or should I go with spectralock pro within shower and FP for the rest?

Thanks,
Vic
Old 01-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #633
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Fusion and Flexcolor are all we use. They work well as Spectralock IMHO. Just be sure to allow the full cure time before use. Normally the shower glass takes a week to arrive so the cure time happens before the glass gets installed anyway.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:06 PM   #634
surgeon

Thanks Paul
Old 01-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #635
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Vic, everyone has their own opinion and I respect that. My opinion is that Fusion and Colorflex aren't in the same league as Spectralock.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #636
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

Grout fight!

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #637
Peerless Tile
Tile Contractor

What Davy said!
Old 01-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #638
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

No grout fighting, they're just two different animals. I think Spectralock is the better of the three but you pay for it too. I realize on some jobs it's just not in the budget to buy epoxy grout.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #639
surgeon

Thanks Davy and all. Yeah after all that reading and tech specs sheet, I figured the same (I am no pro, just chemistry knowledge).

This is for my elderly parents. So slight increase in cost now will level out most other issues later (maintenance etc). What I put in more than 3 yrs ago with spectralock (its in thread Vic's shower project) still looks the same today. There is some dirt and stuff to clean in the bathroom (here and there, usual stuff) or I would have taken a pic. Shower floor, walls, etc are have no damage.

If I really can't get spectralock, I will try FP and wait 7 days of cure time.

Fusion Pro at HD cost me 40 + 40 (2 colors) but spectralock might cost me double. I only need 2 mini kits.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase