Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
miamicuse

Removing Broken Ceramic Wall Mount Soap Dishes

I have two ceramic wall mount soap dishes I need to remove (and replace).

One is over a pedestal sink.

One is over a tub.

Problem is I don't know whether it has a recessed lid behind it or whether it was applied right over existing tiles.

I am unable to find replacement tiles (these were probably put in back in the 60s, 70s) if I end up breaking adjacent tiles.

What is the best way to remove these soap dishes?
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
java
Hugging Trees Oct. 1st

The first is more than likely a Thinset mount and the second looks like it would have to be a Recessed mount.

Either way, a few good careful whacks with a small hammer usually does the trick.

Good luck.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler

Tips;

1- remove the surrounding grout before anything

2- perhaps cut into pieces before whacking with a hammer

3- don't pry on the other tiles

4- protect your eyes

5- try www.SaveThePinkBathrooms.com for replacements.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
miamicuse

Will it be easier if I use an angle grinder with a diamond blade and score lines on the soap dish? or just go at it with a hammer and chisel.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler

The angle grinder for sure.

Stop just short of the grout line. Cut in a star pattern from the center, radiating out from the center.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
miamicuse

Didn't have too much time to spend on this today, but I did carefully chisel out some of it.

Tomorrow I will power up the grinder, I didn't today because I didn't have a dust mask with me.

Name:  P1030410.jpg
Views: 3621
Size:  20.2 KB
Name:  P1030411.jpg
Views: 3619
Size:  19.5 KB

Looks like these are recessed mount ones, the part in the middle will be a pain to get out.

Last edited by jgleason; 07-20-2012 at 06:48 AM. Reason: please use the paperclip icon to attach images
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
reefone
tile setter

now that you have all that chipped away. i would take my angle grinder and cut all the way around the outside of the soap dish and then a x through the middle. once thats done id take a flat head and pry fron the middle where you cut the x. it should pop right out.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Houston Remodeler

What Jerry said plus;

When cutting the perimeter, don't aim the for the grout joint between the 'good tile' and the soap dish. Aim a little more inside the soap dish as to leave room for error.

If you can scrape out the perimeter grout around the dish before grinding, that would be ideal

Old 07-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
advertguy2

Using the grinder in there is going to be messy...

Have some sort of dust containment set up in place. Cover up your vents, towel under the door, fan blowing out the window, vaccuum etc...
Old 07-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
miamicuse

CabotAndRowe.com said:

Quote:
When cutting the perimeter, don't aim the for the grout joint between the 'good tile' and the soap dish. Aim a little more inside the soap dish as to leave room for error.
Well, wish I read this before I started...however, I did what I did.

I had on a goggle and a dust mask, and it was incredibly dusty, so that affected a bit of my ability to cut precisely.

The soap dish on top of the sink turned out fine. I did "dinged" a few spots on the tile to the left, and I cut a little bit of the top left corner.

Name:  P1030429.jpg
Views: 3922
Size:  23.8 KB

The one above the tub, I didn't do so well. The bottom edge I overcut a little, and since the soap dish only took up 1-1/2 tile, I had to remove the other two narrow strips of tiles on the left and right.

Name:  P1030430.jpg
Views: 3985
Size:  18.6 KB

I am not sure what to do with the bottom edge. Is there a way to fix this? Can I use a grinder to grinder the top edge of the bottom tile to make a bevel and in the process hide the sloppy work?

I could remove those two tiles as well but then it will look really odd.

I still have to figure out what to do with these two spots, I have no spare tiles, and I don't think I will find any. I am thinking some decorative...like a fish or something on a tile. Thoughts?

Last edited by jgleason; 07-21-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: please use the paperclip icon and attach images. Don't use the img tag.
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
Tim Callaway
Ideal Tile & Stone

I had a similar situation with a customer several years back. I cut into the wall and installed a niche. I also removed an additional inch of tile to flash the old mud walls to my new niche. I used a Mosaic that seemed to go with the harvest gold tile. This is not easy and a bit risky. It is important to try to locate studs before you begin and there is still the risk of wiring, plumbing, or Jimmy Hoffa.
Tim
Old 07-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
jgleason
Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Hi M.C. Please attach your images. Thanks.

It is preferred that you use the attachment method to upload your images directly into the forum database. This helps ensure the size requirements are met (the forum will auto resize uploaded images) and ensures that the images will always be displayed in your post. (Images hotlinked from 3rd party sites can disappear over time leaving your posts without the visual context originally intended).

Note-if your image files are >2MB you will have to resize them first. Handy utility for doing that is here - http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
miamicuse

jgleason, I understand. I think I tried to use attached images once, but I could not figure out how to attach images and be able to control how to disperse the pictures within my post.

If I link in my pic I can provide some explanation, illustrate with an image, provide more explanation, followed by another image and so on.

However with the attach feature I couldn't figure out how to control where in my post to insert the attached image as well as order. Am I missing something or this is a limitation?
Old 07-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

You can do those same things by using the "paper clip" icon above the reply box - it's next to the smiley's. After uploading, you can insert photos within the text anywhere you want to.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
miamicuse

Thank you dhagin, I will try that next time.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com