Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 04-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Tub Refinisher

Black marks on tile regrout job

Hey guys, I'm new here. I posted on Terry Love's forum and my thread got hijacked by 2 guys fighting about some stupid stuff. One of them suggested I post over here. I'm a Perma-Glaze franchise owner/operator, so re-grouting isn't my primary line of work.

I did a re-grouting job for a friend, and while removing the grout, the oscillating tool slipped in a few places and while it didn't cut the tile, it left a few black marks on the white ceramic tile that I cant get off. I've tried everything I had: grout cleaners, tile cleaners, mild acid cleaner, barkeepers friend (which normally take black marks off of bathtubs when nothing else works), acetone, lacquer thinner, you name it. It's actually a very slight scratch that is black. Any ideas from you pros on what might take it off? Bleach maybe? Someone suggested toothpaste, but considering what I've already tried, it doesn't seem like it would work. I have to go back Wednesday to resurface that bathtub, and I told him I'd find something to use by then. HELP!!!

Barry
Old 04-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Barry.

You're in the right place, threads never get hijacked here.

Hang on, one of our cleaning gurus might have an answer for you, but it'd certainly help if you posted a photo of your marks and tell them with exactly what material the marks were made.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Tub Refinisher

Thanks, CX. I don't have photos handy, but the marks were made by the cutting blade on the oscillating tool by slipping out of the grout line and lightly abrading the surface of the tile. The marks would hardly be noticeable except for the fact that they are black, on white ceramic tile.

Barry
Old 04-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

So, this was a steel tool, a diamond tool, a carbide tool, an emerald encrusted ivory tool, what? More hints.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Tub Refinisher

Diamond tool
Old 04-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I've had the same problem before and used many things as you have and never found the perfect cleaner,maybe others have.But i did get it mostly off using some wet sanded grout,toothpaste might just work.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Miracle Sealants Tech

Hi Barry-

You may want to try our Porcelain and Ceramic Tile Cleaner, which is an abrasive cleanser we manufacture. It is sort of like a jewelers rouge for tile.
I have successfully taken Marks-A-Lot marker off of tile before. Use it with a really good scrub pad, like the back side (green) of a dish sponge.

The other option that I have used in the past to take the grid markings from the back of tile off of the front of the tile (developed from rubbing together during shipping) is to use a very light grit sand paper. Start with a fine grit (to make sure you do not scratch the tile) and progress to a more aggressive grit (that the tile will allow without affecting the finish of the tile) to see if it will take off those black marks.

If there happens to be a left over tile from this job when it was completed, you can always use a spare just to see how aggressive you can go with the sand paper.

Good Luck

Robb

"Serving the Tile, Stone and Masonry Industries for 25 Years"

www.miraclesealants.com
Miracle Sealants Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
Windwood

You might try some automotive rubbing compound or polishing compound. Rubbing compound being the more abrasive. I have cleaned Le Crueset porcelain coated cookware with both and they worked very well. I doubt you could do any damage to the tile with them, but as always, do a test first.
Windwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Hank B.

It's likely the steel from the blade. In the same way a pencil marks a piece of paper, dragging steel over tile the steel wears off onto the tile. gently rubbing it with a pumice stone is the only way I've gotten it off. If it's a really glossy tile, then it might dull the surface though, but that's the only way I know to get it off.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com