Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 04-01-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
Sprung831
Tile Tool Guy

fastest drying grout

Hey guys, I have a question. A local resaurant here asked me to do a small regrout job in the dishwashing area of their kitchen. All of the old grout (in the 4x4 are is completely eroded away. What is the fastest "drying" grout around? I need to try and find something that can be walked on, as well as be covered in water after. Any help would be appreciated!
Sprung831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
koihito
No one of consequence.

Haven't tried it, but TEC has just come out with Power Grout that can be opened to traffic in 4 hours. Thats faster than anything I've ever seen, don't know about the water part though...

No one of consequence...

www.TellJapan.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
cwilde72

Permacolor is ready for traffic in 4 hours. That's what the spec sheet says anyway. I'd feel comfortable with 2-3 hours tho.
cwilde72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
HS345
Tile Contractor

Actually, Permacolor is ready for heavy foot traffic in 6 hrs, and cannot be submerged for 14 days. Not sure if the application in the OP is considered "submerged".

http://www.laticrete.com/Portals/0/d...ets/ds2500.pdf
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
K_Tile
Member of Million SF Club!!

Used Mapei Ultracolor Plus for many years in this application. Foot traffic in 3 hrs. Submerged application would be underwater.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'
K_Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
HS345
Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Used Mapei Ultracolor Plus for many years in this application. Foot traffic in 3 hrs. Submerged application would be underwater.
I know that Kevin. But in the OP it stated:
Quote:
Hey guys, I have a question. A local resaurant here asked me to do a small regrout job in the dishwashing area of their kitchen. All of the old grout (in the 4x4 are is completely eroded away. What is the fastest "drying" grout around? I need to try and find something that can be walked on, as well as be covered in water after. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
gueuzeman

Grout with hydraulic cement, lol. Restaurants are impossible, they're not closed for enough hours to do anything correctly, IMO.

gueuzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
cwilde72

Thanks for clarifying Greg. Not sure where I came up with 4 hrs but that's what I've always gone by. I've also mixed it up a little on the dry side to speed things up. Wrists hate me the next day tho!
cwilde72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Steve

I agree with Kevin regarding using Mapei Ultracolor Plus.

You may want to consider placing down some plastic to protect from excessive water (until final cure).

Keep in mind an industrial epoxy grout is a better long term solution for a commercial kitchen. It will not erode like the cementitious grouts over time.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

Ultra Color Plus dries very very fast. It still isn't technically cured for 28 days though, and water will always fade it or cause it to deteriorate. It will be the fastest drying cement grout you can get though IMO at least.

I also heard that Merkrete has something called burst or boost or something like that that will accelerate your grout. Never tried it though.

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Obie1
Tile Contractor

Got a sample of that merkrete burst at surfaces but have yet to use it. Says it sets up grout in 60 minutes with 2 small packets.

ELITE TILE WORKS
(805)845-8787
Southern California ceramic and stone tile contractor serving Santa Barbara and Ventura counties
http://www.elitetileworks.net/

Obie1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
Sprung831
Tile Tool Guy

wow, looking back and realizing my OP @ 4am, I apologize on the lack of full sentances, lol. A few more details....

What I am looking for is a grout that sets up fast, and holds up for a reasonable amount of time. I know there is never a "forever" fix for this situation. When I went to remove the grout, I actually didnt need to do much. I set up a sawzall with the grout grabber tool, and first cleaned the area with a shop vac. After I vacuumed up ALL the grout, I realized that we had a bigger issue. I am looking to replace the cementicious grout with something that will hold up in a wet area. The maximum amount of time I have without foot traffic is 12 hours. After that 12 hours, we are looking at water splashing, people walking, and all the fun stuff that happens in a commercial kitchen. I can grout it and cover it, but then obviously it will take longer to set up.
Sprung831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

I did one we used permacolor and mixed it very stiff, it dried fast we would do sections set with 253R then grout with permacolor every night the permacolor was rock hard when we would come back.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Steve

For the longest lasting results, I suggest using Laticrete SpectraLOCK® 2000 IG. Any cementitious grout used in the commercial kitchen will degrade again due to all the food acids.

I agree that working in a commercial kitchen that is already in service is probably one of the most challenging environments to work in.

Here is a link on my Facebook page of a Dish Room that we retiled, grouted, then retrofitted a linear drain in. All of this was accomplished without being able to remove the sinks, drainboards, or dishwasher, and keeping the room operational daily. It was probably one of the most difficult challenges in my career.

This is something that you want to promote to the owners to do only once. There may be an initial inconvenience for both the restaurant and the contractor by using epoxy grout that will pay off in the long run.

The down time difference of using a cementitious grout vs. epoxy grout is minimal.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprung831
The maximum amount of time I have without foot traffic is 12 hours. After that 12 hours, we are looking at water splashing, people walking, and all the fun stuff that happens in a commercial kitchen.
the SpectraLock IG2000 has a cure time of 4 hours @ 80° and a heavy foot traffic time of 7hours.
you could grout the area and use a small space heater aimed at the area to make the temperature
in the area higher to help cure.
also light water cant absorb into an epoxy grout like it does a cement grout.
..................Check out our Blog
Florida Installer of Laticrete HydroBan & HydroBarrier
....Florida Installer of Schluter Kerdi & Kerdi-Board
................."Waterproofed Tile Showers"
........Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com