Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Jc_tile_newbie

Need bathroom renovation help.

Just bought a house and we want to put ceramic tile down in our bathrooms which are on the second floor of a 10 year old house. Subfloor is atleast 3/4, 1st floor was something like 27/32? so second floor may be the same. And it seems to be in good condition. Joists are 16" on center. Not sure if the board is tongue and grove or not...anyway we put down a a layer of self-leveling mortar about 1/8" thick to get us a nice smooth surface to start with. Followed by thinset and 1/4" hardibacker which they spec for floors, suppose to be the best stuff for cement board. The floor seems solid to me, but I dont want to run into cracks later. im wondering if what I have done will work? Or if I should have used 1/2 hardiboard for extra strength? Or if the 16" span will allow to much deflection?
Need some expert advice.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions or help.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Jc_tile_newbie

We replaced the bath tub up there so I know its atleast 3/4" thick up there from looking at it and moving drains around. Do I need to check the joists for length and size? We did follow hardiboards screw pattern and taped and thinset the joints. One thing I noticed however as that it calls for a modified thinset under the hardi. I didnt modify it still not sure how to. I read something about adding a different cement or mortar to it. also we were looking at putting heating mats in ontop of the hardi board. any concerns or things I should beware of with these? Can I use SLC to level the floor? The manufacture says thinset or thickset, but I had trouble getting the rest of the floor around the mats level with thinset, so I took them back up and started over...dont want to make that mistake again. wasted two bags of thinset. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for the input.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase