Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet


Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #46
ob1kanobee
Registered User
 
ob1kanobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Deland, FL.
Posts: 4,064
An interesting chart you might not see every day. It's over years of the Dow. One thing the average guy or even above average person who invests will fail to see when looking at this chart is the tech boom that exploded tech stocks and fueled a lot of the market through the 90's. Also beginning in the 80's was the influx of 401ks and IRAs. This raises the question, what do we know about increasing the demand in any market? ANSWER = higher price

So, not only are we only about half way through a traditional DJIA stall-out. We also lack any next big thing to bring a rally. The 80s-90s boom was an anomaly if you look at the Dow's whole history.

Now matter what else, it should be clear that if you start your retirement at the beginning of one of the good periods, you may do OK with a withdraw-from-your-investments-for-income strategy. On the other hand, if you start your retirement near the start of a bear period, you will be screwed. Now, who is willing to bet their retirement on what is essentially guesswork?

The brokers say that you can take 4% a year for income and have a 90% chance of having enough for a 30 year retirement. But a T. Rowe Price study shows that if you happened to have retired in 2000, the odds as of 2009 for making it another 21 years has dropped to 6%. In other word, your crash and burn odds are 94% 9 years into your retirement -how's them odds?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 113YEARSOFDOW (1).pdf (267.4 KB, 151 views)
__________________
Ben

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #47
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
moderator
 
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Issaquah, Washington
Posts: 6,352
Gold's been sound asleep for a little while now. It starting to feel like that might change.

What would you save gold or cash?
__________________
Jim Upton
DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #48
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Naples Fl.
Posts: 22,687
Here's the reason gold has slowed.along with silver,but as you say that will change.The whole world financial system is on life support and we will see the crash start up again,it has already started in Europe.....http://theinternationalforecaster.co..._And_Liquidity
__________________
Dave



http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #49
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
moderator
 
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Issaquah, Washington
Posts: 6,352
http://econ70.com/2012/08/15/tag-taxes-taxpayers/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Eisenberg
FDIC insurance covers up to $250,000 per bank account. During the Ď08 financial crisis, Congress passed the Transaction Account Guarantee (TAG), providing unlimited insurance for non-interest bearing accounts. While TAG might have made sense then, it doesnít now. TAG not only rewards badly run banks, it creates future instability. As interest rates rise, cash will flow to interest bearing accounts, destabilizing banks that rely on non-interest bearing TAG money.
I thought I'd dig up this old thread.

There's been several news items over the last few months that have looked at how the MF Global scandal was handled, amongst others. The conclusion is that your money isn't safe anymore. Not with brokers, not in money market accounts.

Do your own due-diligence, but I wouldn't make a decision based on complacency.

Jim Sinclair has been, for a few years, recommending you own the certificates for your stocks or, at a minimum, get them directly registered in your name with your broker's transfer agent, not pooled with everyone elses money.

Don't let this be you:


__________________
Jim Upton
DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #50
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
moderator
 
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Issaquah, Washington
Posts: 6,352
There's been some new developments in the gold market recently:
The big guys are getting interested in gold again:

Report: Soros Unloads All Investments in Major Financial Stocks; Invests Over $130 Million In Gold

Paulson Steps Up Gold Bet to 44% of Firmís Equity Assets

Gold is being considered by bankers to be on the same level as cash or bonds

Gold Just Became Money Again
Gold has done nothing over the last year. It has been coiling up, but it looks like it's been accumulated over this time.

My guess is that this winter will be a good time for gold. I think the gold miners are the real play, though.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Jim Upton
DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #51
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
moderator
 
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Issaquah, Washington
Posts: 6,352
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm getting interested in Facebook. The stock is half of what it IPO'd at, it gets the worst press, and the big hedgies have made a fortune shorting it.

Is Facebook a broken company or a broken stock?
Attached Images
 
__________________
Jim Upton
DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #52
az_rancher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SouthEastern Arizona
Posts: 204
Facebook is broken, don't invest in it.

Rancher
__________________
az_rancher = John
az_rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #53
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Naples Fl.
Posts: 22,687
Interesting take on global money manipulation and investing to beat it.http://theinternationalforecaster.co...s_rig_the_game
__________________
Dave



http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #54
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
moderator
 
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Issaquah, Washington
Posts: 6,352
Gold and commodities got creamed today. I think this will be the first year in, I don't know, at least 10 years that gold will finish lower than the year before. It's been going up and up and I think it takes a breather. It needs to shake out the weak hands and get a good amount of people thinking that the top is in but I think the future is still bright for the yellow metal. My opinion.

Here's a one month chart.

.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Jim Upton
DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #55
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
moderator
 
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Issaquah, Washington
Posts: 6,352
By the way, I was looking at the previous posts and I did pretty well with Facebook. I still own half of my original position.

It was one of my few winners last year. I still own a lot of commodity stocks and have been forced to buy more of what I own to try to get them to average out. It's basically what a lot of smart investors say not to do.
__________________
Jim Upton
DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 AM.


Sponsors

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2014 John Bridge & Associates, LLC