Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Old 07-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
lasvegaslenny
Desert Dweller

Investing

Jim your thought about a general investing thread was a good one so I started it.

I have a bit of money put aside that I want to invest, I am thinking of a mutual fund.

I also think that with all the dead end negotiations going on concerning the debt ceiling the market is going to take quite a hit at the end of the month.

So I am holding my money back until after my predicted hit comes and at that time I will buy into a mutual fund.

What say you one and all?

www.MasterBuiltLasVegas.com

"We are born to action; and whatever is capable of suggesting and guiding action has power over us from the first." -Charles Horton Cooley
lasvegaslenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
ob1kanobee

Who says you have to go 'all in' at once? Look into the idea of 'dollar cost averaging'. Take your pile of money and go into funds over a period of time. It could be a few months, a year or longer. This way you spread your risks and sometimes you will pick things up on sale. Similar to going to the grocery store. Sometimes you find a good bargain sometimes you don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_cost_averaging

You could also look into something called 'value averaging'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_averaging

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.

Last edited by ob1kanobee; 07-17-2011 at 03:32 PM.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
custombuilt
Tile and remodeling contractor

Lenny in may opinion, and Clark Howard's you should open a Roth IRA. With the roth you pay in money you already paid taxes on, but it is tax free when you take it out. There is a five thousand dollar a year limit to what you can put in. I had my money in American funds, but it hasn't done so well lately, I recently changed to Makson money with charles scwab and it is doing well.

Also I hope you at least have the money in a CD or something untill you decide.

Superior Construction
Custom Interior and Exterior remodeling experts
Quincy, IL
custombuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

An alternative.... Smart401k

I don't think I would try to time the market... You generally lose... Dollar cost averaging is the way to go...
Old 07-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Toddman
Independent Tile Contractor

I recommend Vanguard "no load" funds. Vanguard seems to have the lowest expense ratios (maintenance fees). If you don't go with Vanguard, definitely choose something that is "no load".

Good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good.

http://www.toddthetileguy.com
Toddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
lasvegaslenny
Desert Dweller

I'm not dumping a whole lot at first, maybe $2,500.00 and then setting up automatic investment monthly of $200.00.

The fund I have chosen isno front or back load, expense ratio's are less than 1.5%, and there is no charge to buy through E-Trade.

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=MUTF:BJBHX

I will have to look into the Roth Ira i dont knoe a whole lot about it.

www.MasterBuiltLasVegas.com

"We are born to action; and whatever is capable of suggesting and guiding action has power over us from the first." -Charles Horton Cooley
lasvegaslenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
MudMaker

Most things can be purchased as a Roth, but you have to keep it there as a Roth for a minimum of 5 years... The Roth is more of a longer term investment. Invest with money you don't need for a while... Good way to go though if you can do without it till you can spend it...
Old 07-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I went down the mutual fund road about 12 years ago. I was told it was for the long haul. Now I wish I would have stuck it under the mattress. Sure, it wouldn't have grown but I would have nearly twice as much as I have now. I always felt bad when I couldn't afford to add to it, maybe it was good that I couldn't. I don't know what the answer is.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
MudMaker

Thing is with the Smart401k they recommend options 4times a year....
Old 07-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
sandbagger

The Smart 401k is part of The Mutual Fund Store and specializes in those employer-sponsored 401K plans. For this service they charge the same flat fee regardless of portfolio size and you get those 4 updates a year based on the investing profile you set up when you enroll. I've been using it for a couple of years for my employer plan. For most of the larger companies these guys already know the choices offered and have done their own analysis. This was the part I hated especially since the offerings were a little limited. So far I'm pretty happy with their results.

The Mutual Fund Store differs in that the fee is a percent of the portfolio size and it's meant to used to manage accounts where you have full control. These guys are not brokers so they are incentivized to keep you happy and make your portfolio - and thus the fee - bigger. Since they aren't restricted by employer offerings they can pick from any funds and make no bones about dropping ones that fail to make the grade.

Someone mentioned loads. I used to think that way until I ran into an advisor who stated (what should have been) the obvious. "I don't care about fees. I care about how much money I make."

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:23 AM   #11
Mr.Miyagi
Re-Remodeler & Re-Tiler

I would recommend buying physical gold & silver before purchasing any paper investment. Both mutual funds & 401k's are crap. One will be eaten away by fees the other will be decimated by higher tax rates in the future. Roth IRA's are slightly better as long as the institution in which you're vested in stays solvent, otherwise you can kiss that money goodbye.

On the 401k issue along with mutuals, SS, Medicare & Medicaid:
The Coming Generational Storm by Laurence Kotlikoff and Scott Burns

On the Stock Market & Banking:
The End of Money and the Future of Civilization by Thomas H. Greco Jr.

On Wall Street & The Free Market:
When Corporations rule the world by David Korten
Broke USA by Gary Rivlin

Please educate yourself before wading into the shark pool. Good Luck!!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:40 AM   #12
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I started an IRA 25 yrs. ago with $1000..it is now worth about $1000.It was one of Consumer Reports top 10 mutual funds,i even split it between two funds,what a joke.

My 401 did much better, but i played with it,then wound up having to dissolve it,the co.stopped matching, and i quit the co. plus the deprecession.

I'm not qualified to give financial advice but i would never give away money to someone else to invest again.Mutual funds are slow moving elephants,as are most diversified investments.

As said, read up,control you investment yourself.If you believe in the economic future pick a couple investments and go all in.
If like me you don't, buy hard assets like commodities,i believe gold will keep going up,it's up 25% this year with no end in sight.The one thing that will kill it will be the govt. shut down of the metal markets,which i believe will happen with the new currecy exchange,that i also will believe will happen when the dollar dies.http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,6202839.story

On the same note a new czar of sorts has been appointed to a consumer regulatory agency headed by one, and answering to one.This could very well shake up the investment arena...http://www.suntimes.com/business/656...rketplace.html

http://Davestonestile.com

Last edited by Davestone; 07-18-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
java
Hugging Trees Oct. 1st

It is good to see folks thinking about investments and their future.

I know it can be very confusing and overwhelming. But worry not.

Everyone just send all investment money to me and I will keep an eye on it for you. Now, this is a long haul investment, no cashing out for 50 yrs.

But man-o-man are you gona be surprised in 50 yrs to see what I have done with your investments.

Hurry up, my your future is waiting.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
Toddman
Independent Tile Contractor

Lenny, given all the advice so far maybe you should just take your money over to Caesars Palace and see what they can do for you. Hell, they'll even give you free drinks while you wait!! Find a mutual fund manager that will do that!!!!

Good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good.

http://www.toddthetileguy.com
Toddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #15
SteveVB
Remodeler -- D.C. Area

my 2 cents

Mutual fund is fine if you have less than 50k to invest. Once you get over 50 you start looking at the dollars you are paying in fees it can be a decent sum.

I would buy an index fund(passive management) for a base and put the majority of your funds in it, 50-75% , then pick one or two other active funds to fill out the portfolio.
Vanguard is good for index funds.

A ROTH is a great idea- if you are saving for retirement.... though with DC looking for revenue they may change the rules at any time...

As far as timing - your plan is as valid as any- the market is nervous with the posturing by the house, and the threats of the President. If we get some big spending cuts the marklet will head up pretty good I am assuming, if we get a kick the can down the road agreement then it still may head up a bit as the fears of the unthinkable receeed.

my opinion NO "investor" with a time frame of more than a few days has any business in the metals market - speculators paridise.

Have Fun
SteveVB is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase