Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
pronouncedeyen

shower membrane over curb

I'm in the process of building a frameless glass shower with 2 glass walls. That means that I will have shower curbs on 2 sides of the shower. What do I do at the point where they meet? I've seen videos and guides that show you how to use those pre-folded pieces to cover up the corner where your curb meets the frame (or wall) but how do I cover things up at the corner of 2 curbs? My mathematical brain can't seem to figure out how to fold it to make it work!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
Jaz
Michigan Tile Pro

Hi Ian,

Several ways to do that. You can fold, double cut then weld together.

But wait a minute, What will you be installing over the top of the membrane as the tile substrate?

Jaz

Custom TileSetter (retired) - Method & Product suitability consulting

DIRECT Containers MARBLE from ITALY - GREECE; PERLATO di SICILIA - PERLATINO - BOTTICINO - THASSOS - SIVEC - VOLAKAS - ARETI WHITE - CALACATTA - others - Slabs - Tiles - Custom marmo.sicilia@yahoo.com
Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If you buy preformed corners, you'll need both inside and outside corners - a pair of each. Folding could work, but would result in more buildup. Assuming you're talking about Kerdi, the corners are thinner, and have less buildup than the fabric sheets.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
Jaz
Michigan Tile Pro

I don't get the impression Ian is doing a Kerdi shower, sounds like a traditional membrane. We'll find out soon.

Jaz

DIRECT Containers MARBLE from ITALY - GREECE; PERLATO di SICILIA - PERLATINO - BOTTICINO - THASSOS - SIVEC - VOLAKAS - ARETI WHITE - CALACATTA - others - Slabs - Tiles - Custom marmo.sicilia@yahoo.com
Old 10-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Buildup with a traditional liner can be compensated when installing the mortar and lath over the top. The cement used to bond the pieces together should allow you to get good coverage without any leaks. You'll have to cut the liner and patch a piece on top of it to cover the cuts. Some curb dam corners should help.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
Jaz
Michigan Tile Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Buildup with a traditional liner can be compensated when installing the mortar and lath over the top.
Absolutely, just fold it if going that way. But many people try to install CBU on the curb area which messes everything up.

Jaz

Old 10-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
pronouncedeyen

Thanks all for the quick responses! I'm planning to wrap metal mesh around the curb as described here: http://floorelf.com/creating-a-thres...or-your-shower

Is there an easier way? I can't think of a way to attach backer board to the membrane without puncturing it.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
Kman

You don't want to attach backer board to the curb in any way. It's actually a very common mistake we see hereabouts, one that leads to failure of the shower.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #9
Jim Cordes

One trick is to leave gaps in the wood curbs and corners so you can tuck the liner into them to try to keep the thickness down...that and chisel or cut the wood to allow for the liner..you will see its not an exact science..you just do what you can. But i would try to avoid cutting the liner if at all possible.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #10
Jaz
Michigan Tile Pro

Ian,

You said you're gonna wrap lath up and over the curb, so, there will be no punctures. You shape the lath and fasten only on the outside. There is no need to chisel, tuck into any gap etc. when you build the inside, top and outside of the curb with mud.

Alternatively I woulda done a shower with surface waterproofing instead. But if you're committed to the traditional method, continue per above.

Jaz

Old 10-30-2015, 11:31 PM   #11
pronouncedeyen

By surface waterproofing do you mean Kerdi? I was thinking about it but it's a big shower and Kerdi would've added almost $1000 to the cost. And also I'm cheap.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:04 AM   #12
cx
Da Home Builder

Ian, Kerdi is but one product that meets the requirements of ANSI A118.10 as a waterproofing membrane suitable for building your shower. I would always recommend a sheet-type membrane for that purpose. Kerdi is one such. You might also look into the USG Durock Shower membrane. There are others.

Your shower would need to be exceptionally large to require a thousand dollars worth of waterproofing material. You're probably looking at well under half that. I would not recommend you buy the kit, but rather only the components you need, which is essentially a drain and the necessary membrane.

But even at $1000, a thirty-year shower is gonna cost you less than $35 a year for the waterproofing. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:08 AM   #13
Jaz
Michigan Tile Pro

Ian,

I'm not sure how you came up with 1k more for a Kerdi shower.

I used to figure about $300 for Kerdi Drain and all fabric to do a typical shower, plus and extra day labor compared to skipping the surface waterproofing steps. So maybe $700 +-. But now the client doesn't need a plumber to install the pan and drain. Deduct his charges and we're close to zero added cost plus the results are much better. No comparison.

Jaz

Old 10-31-2015, 12:21 PM   #14
Kman

Maybe adding in a tray and all the corner pieces, if there are any. Still, $1k would probably be a very high estimate.

Like CX, I've been using the Durock shower membrane lately. I get it through Amazon for about $1.30 a square foot, no tax, no shipping. I still use the Kerdi drain, and while it is expensive, it's a reasonable cost compared to the alternative clamping drain/PVC liner system.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase