Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Shower Dam/curb. Kerdi board or kerdi membrane over sheet rock?

I am helping a friend with a 3 foot shower dam tonight. It's going to be 3 to 4.5 inches tall, it's up to him on the height. The dam will have 2-3 2x4's stacked. We are using kerdi membrane and a kerdi drain so the mortar bed will be on top of sub floor. Our options are either boxing out the dam with 1/2 inch kerdi board and finishing the edges with kerdi fix and membrane or to cover the wood with sheet rock and then cover it in membrane. Covering it with sheet rock/membrane will be a tad more labor but could be covered with a single piece of membrane plus the edges being totally covered. Using kerdi board over the 2x4's will have seams on top that will need to be sealed and covered with kerdi ban in addition to the seams at the walls/dam.
I suppose I could run some lath over the dam and float it then cover it but that seems like a lot of work.
With the possible pros and cons which way would you folks do it?

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

You could skip the wood and make the whole curb out of Kerdi Board if you want. Either way, extend the pan Kerdi over the curb and you'll have fewer seams and less build up.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
Premier Designs

Wink

I wood never, use wood in a shower .. ; )

Or sheetrock for that matter on the curb, Kerdi board, bricks, solid concrete, those are my options .. water proof as needed ..
Old 08-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

For Kerdi showers I use wood for the curb foundation and cover it with drywall and Kerdi the same as the walls.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Stacked wood on a subfloor works, but isn't a great idea on a slab, so there, bricks, pavers, etc. are better. Saying no wood in a shower is a little harsh...most homes are built with wooden studs, and they're no more in a shower than that of the curb if it is waterproofed properly. Since a slab could let moisture in from below, something more water resistant like bricks or pavers is a better idea.

If you have enough KerdiBoard left, you can stack it up and use it as your curb. Or, use it to cover the framework made from 2x4's, or use the membrane to cover a suitable panel (cbu, drywall, etc.). Use thinset to bond the panels together and to the floor and walls of the curb if you go that route.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Kman

2x4's with sheetrock and Kerdi for situations like yours, concrete or bricks if it's over a slab.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Okay. Kerdi membrane over sheet rock it is.
I am actually using the trugard shower kit for this one. It's a friend shower so I let him make the call on the product. So far trugard seems pretty good as compared to kerdi. Although the drain flange does not have a felt rim. Trugard says to seal membrane using their polyurethane caulk. Here is the drain
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

While Schluter allows you to use thinset to seal around the drain. I still use Kerdi fix /Sikaflex to seal that joint. So I don't need no steenkin' fleece on my kerdi drains. But it is impressive when you can keep that fleece white and pretty looking for the customers.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

I to prefer to use kerdi fix at the drain instead of mortar. I have a lot more faith in the polyurethane making that seal rather than using mortar

Old 08-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
Premier Designs

Having wood on a vertical surface is a little different than introducing a feature into your shower that has the potential for leaks, on a surface that is stressed, and will hold water more readily than a wall, no wood curbs thank you, I'll stick with a solid curb ...
Old 09-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #11
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Hey Paul. Which sikaflex do you use? The truseal that came with the trugard kit sucks compared to kerdifix. I would love to find something good that cost less than the 15$ a tube for kerdifix. The kerdifix and wedi sealant seem to be close to the same. They both skin over within 20 mins and dont let go once dry. I stuck two wood shims together with the truseal and pulled them apart the following day. The shims break when done with kerdifix.

Got these pics today from Steve. He hoped to finish the trugard tomorrow and then a water test thurs/friday.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #12
gunguy05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady at Best View Post
Hey Paul. Which sikaflex do you use? The truseal that came with the trugard kit sucks compared to kerdifix. I would love to find something good that cost less than the 15$ a tube for kerdifix. The kerdifix and wedi sealant seem to be close to the same. They both skin over within 20 mins and dont let go once dry. I stuck two wood shims together with the truseal and pulled them apart the following day. The shims break when done with kerdifix.

Got these pics today from Steve. He hoped to finish the trugard tomorrow and then a water test thurs/friday.
Just wondering how this turned out and if you had any more install pics? I'm considering the trugard stuff as well.

Thanks,.
Brian

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase