Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
Biologyben

Quick replacement of tile

I decided to order new glass doors for our vented gas fireplace. On the day I intended to install it, my wife says, ‘Why don’t you retile it before you put the door in?’ Sold - I hate the old tile.

On inspection, the existing is a full drywall wall that fully covers the original masonry (wall to wall, floor to ceiling) and was furred out with 2x2’s.

The wood mantel and wood threshold (eek)were placed against the drywall, and then 6x12 ceramic tiles then placed to fill the space between the mantel and firebox. The tiles were not grouted and placed with nearly no space between. A close look shows that they have 2 line of construction adhesive securing them to the drywall. I pounded on them hard inside & out (they extend past the drywall 1/2”) with my hand and none had any give. (And my hand is rather sore)

We’ve already picked a marble mosaic tile to install. We are not wanting to remove any of the existing Sheetrock, mantel, etc; just trying to do a quick cosmetic fix that will last the next 5-10 years. I would love to tear out the wall someday and see exactly what is back there and rebuild it right to perhaps make it fuctional for wood again, but not for the foreseeable future.

Total area is less than 8 Sqft

How to proceed? Should I tile over the current tile or risk tearing up the sheetrock to remove the existing glued-down tile. If so, with what products?

Last edited by Biologyben; 01-13-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Biologyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Biologyben

Photo of existing
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

I would tile over the existing. Unless sheet rock underneath can be easily replaced and there is something to attach the new sheet rock to.
Maybe bust out the tile. Cut a clean line in the sheet rock next to the wood. Assuming there is sheet rock there. Install new strips of sheet rock or cbu. As long as it's flat. Maybe tape the seams with an alkali resistant tape. Skim coat it with thinset or drywall compound. Then tile.

Or buy high quality thinset, usually cost over 25$ a bag. Read the label. Make sure that it will stick to your tile. Score the surface of existing tile. Set the new tile over it. Then don't tell anyone what you have done.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:54 PM   #4
Biologyben

So Lowe’s happened to have an open bag of MAPEI Rapid Setting Powder Thinset Mortar they gave me for $5.

We’ll see how long it holds, but loving it so far. It’s a dry stack marble, all that’s left is sealing it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Biologyben; 01-15-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Biologyben is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase