Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #16
BruceL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
It looks like your statement is true for the IPC (905.5 says in part "Horizontal vent pipes forming branch vents, relief vents or loop vents shall be at least 6 inches above the flood level rim of the highest fixture served.") However the UPC provides more flexibility, see below for the details.
Thanks for looking that up. I think we're IPC, but when I had my rough plumbing inspection done, the inspector was much more about how bathrooms are conventionally done than about DFUs, etc. Regardless, my understanding is even if UPC allows a horizontal vent, wet venting it from the sink is still preferable since it will clear the drain, whereas a horizontal vent might get clogged.

The picture confuses me, though, since there must be a lot of depth below that shower to support the vertical sanitary tee. Mike, if you do the horizontal vent, you could vent the shower drain with a wye (on its back or tilted 45) to lower the vent quite a bit. If you can't get the vent lower in the wall (is there a footer there?) you could take it down with a 90 where it leaves the wall and build a shower bench there that covers the pipe.

Bruce
Old 01-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #17
Mike_Qtile

Bruce

Yes, there is a lot of height, the P trap is way up above the horizontal drain pipe.

So, it makes sense I think as you suggest to lower that end down with the vent going down with it.(probably 5 inches lowering)

But the vent cannot go below the slab as drain too shallow, so may just run on top and meet the (new)Y arm coming up.

Then at least the vent is as low as it can be

Mike

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase