Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
jwil04

Large Format Wall Tile

Can anybody direct me on which mortar to use when tiling the shower wall with 12"x24" tiles? I plan on doing it on top of hardie backer and kerdi membrane.

Is there any other advice with tiling on the wall with such large tile? Will there be issues with lippage or noticeable problems with tile imperfections?

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

You set yourself up for PIA by using Hardie rather than drywall.

Schluter would recommend their mortars and will warranty the products when used with them. I'd feel confident with Custom's Versabond LFT available at HD around here.

A lippage tuning system will be helpful if you tiles not flat and/or big tile is new to you. Be mindful of offset patterns especially.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jared,

If you don't want to use drywall behind the Kerdi use any cement board other than Hardi. Hardi-backer is just too thirsty, and unless you constantly sprinkle it with water you won't be able to spread thinset and install the membrane.

If you want to follow Schluter specs use any unmodified thinset. I've used VersaBond a lot because I've never worried about warranty.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #4
jwil04

Thanks for the input.

I guess I will go with Durock cement board or drywall since I plan on using the Kerdi membrane.

What is PIA?

Any suggestions for a specific lippage tuning system?

By being mindful of offset patterns are you referring to specific patterns like 50/50 offset that may cause more lippage problems?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
Lawingnutz

I’m just about finish with my shower project using LFT tile, 12x24 tiles. I installed the Durock waterproof membrane over Durock concrete board using Versabond thinset. Then i used Versabond LFT thinset and the Vortex tile leveling system. I did a 50/50 brickyard pattern with no lipage problems. I know the industry recommends a 70/30 split bit i tested several of my tiles for flatness and had no issues. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Jared, PIA is pain in ass, like John described.

Lippage problems are primarily from three things, often a combo of all on a given job. Tile course offset, flatness of tile itself and setting bed unevenness. All will contribute to outcome.

I use MLT system, but it's a significant $$ outlay for a single job. There are others that will work just fine, the concept is the same.

I know it seems counterintuitive, but many thousands of showers have been successfully built using drywall and Kerdi. It stuck in my craw at first, but Schluter proved my fears baseless in a way I couldn't argue with.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
Just In Tile LLC

May I piggyback this thread and ask why Mapei LFT mortar says floors only? Have always wondered
Old 12-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #8
Winndustries

Not sure what data sheet your reading but the data sheet i am reading says

WHERE TO USE
• Interior/exterior residential and commercial installations on floors and
walls in dry and wet areas (see wall specifications under “Limitations”)
• Installation of ceramic and porcelain tile; cultured stone; quarry tile; pavers;
Saltillo tile; and most types of marble, granite and natural stone

www.winndustries.ca
Winndustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #9
Just In Tile LLC

The bags I have say floors only on the front. Didn't read the fine print though.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Some mortars are good at grip (anti-sag), some aren't. If you have good technique and tools, you don't need an anti-sag mortar on the wall, but it can sure help. IT may be that that mortar works really well on a floor where sag isn't an issue (as in sliding down the wall verses sitting flat on a floor), but on a wall, it's more challenging. A larger tile can give problems depending on the type of spacer you use (assume you use one) as some are somewhat soft and can compress as you stack up the tile and since one course is quite heavy verses smaller ones that take more time to get up and start to set, that also may contribute to the issue.

Then again, this could be totally wrong!
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:32 AM   #11
Just In Tile LLC

So the bags I've seen and are available to me are Large Floor Tile Mortar, which does not have any walls listed on its data sheet. What would make such a difference to not use on walls? Case of curiosity....
Old 01-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #12
jwil04

Any suggestions on using a 1/4" or 1/2" trowel with unmodified thinset for the LFT on kerdi board?

Is there an easy way to roughly figure out the depth of the mortar between the tile and the wall based on your trowel size without actually doing a test run?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #13
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

1- 1/2 would be the way to go for large tiles.
2- Not really. You would have to know your troweling technique, thinset used, and general attitude for the day.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #14
BruceL

Having just completed a shower with large format (12x24) tile (you can find the thread, though I haven't uploaded final pictures yet) as a DIYer doing shower and large tile for the first time.

I used Kerabond T. Liked the open time (which I needed because I picked a ridiculously complicated pattern) I might use versabond next time. I used a bit of it on the floor (under ditra and for some of the floor tile) and didn't like how it mixed quite as much, but it wasn't too bad.

1/2" trowel definitely. Getting mortar coverage completely uniform requires a lot of practice. As does technique in collapsing the ridges. I made my mortar a bit on the wet side and slid the tile at least an inch perpendicular to the ridges to collapse them. It's not a gentle "wiggle". Definitely use a leveling system. I have a little bit of lippage even with all that, but it's not too bad...

Bruce
Old 01-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #15
jwil04

Thanks Bruce. What leveling system did you use?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase