Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
pyro

Thinset Selection for 4x12 Marble

I'm looking for advice on what type of thinset to use for 4x12 carrara marble tiles on a shower wall against 1/2" cement backer board. The excessive number of thinset products at the big box stores is questionable. There seems to be minimal differences between them so I am surprised that both the manufacturer sells this many and the big box stores use valuable shelve space. So maybe I'm missing something.

Lets keep the choices down to non pre-mixed, modified, Custom products since that's readily available to me.

In least to most cost order, here is what is available:
- Versabond
- Versabond LFT
- Prolite
- Natural Stone & Large Tile
- Flexbond

They consider the prolite non-sag, but not sure if that's needed since I plan on tiling bottom up with spacers.

I already have versabond for the ditra, and natural stone & large tile for 12x24 porcelain tiles.

Also, hoping to check coverage with 1/4" x 1/4" trowel. Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #2
rmckee84

Pro lite or natural stone and large tile in WHITE.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
pyro

What size trowel is recommended on 4x12 marble?

Just learned about the ditra wanting unmodified which is further annoying. Had I known this earlier, I would have ordered Custom's version of the mat. I have 12x24" porcelain tile for floor so I'm going to use the versabond and give it extended dry time since my view is that the porcelain adhesion is more important.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
rmckee84

1/4"x1/4" or 1/4"x3/8" will get you plenty of coverage unless they are really bowed.
So here's the deal, many of us use modified over ditra on a regular basis. It is perfectly understandable if you would rather adhere to the warranty and use an unmodified. Schluter now offers their own modified that can used over ditra. But if you're going to use versabond (slightly modified) I would just go ahead and use a quality modified. Versabond isnt exactly a quality thinset. We all have our favorites but as far as cost and performance goes Ardex X5 is a great all around modified. You're going to need a medium bed mortar and I dont think versabond qualifies as one.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:41 PM   #5
pyro

I'll pick up a 1/4" x 3/8" to try it out since my backer board is not that flat. I noticed a large bow in my wall after I put the backer board on. So I then tried a few coats of thinset to smooth it out. So now it has 1/16" peaks and valleys. So probably the thicker the better. Hopefully it comes out ok. Also a bit worried about one span between two studs as the backer board flexes.

I guess I'll use the same medium bed "natural stone & large tile" for both the floor (porcelain over ditra) and the walls (4x12 marble over cement board).

And to be complete, I also have mosaic 2" hex marble for the floor of the shower. How about versabond there? I'm really trying to get rid of that versabond I just bought - can't you tell?
Old 01-14-2018, 09:42 PM   #6
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

as long as its white, yes

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase