Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Kerdi shower curb vs kerdi Board curb

Hey guys. I am putting together a bid and looking through the schluter price list. I am putting together a kerdi shower kit because i am planning on using kerdi board for the walls.
Looking at the curbs. I can get the curb made out of kerdi board for a few bucks more than the regular foam curb. Anyone know a reason why using the regular foam curb would be better than using the kerdi board curb? All I can see is that I will still need to seal the seam where the 2 curbs come together, it's a 5 foot curb.

Edit. I think I see something. Maybe this is overkill. I Add slope to the top of the regular foam curb when I am covering it with membrane. I fatten up the thinset just a bit.
The tile will be sitting directly on top of the kerdi board curb. Of course the tile will have some slope towards the shower. But i always worry about the water that might get past the tile and rest on top of the curb.
Or am i over thinking it?

Your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.

Last edited by Shady at Best; 01-12-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
Winndustries

If you do a lot of Schluter showers it may be worth buying a sheet of 2" board and making curbs out of it. Depending on the size of the curbs you can a lot of them made from one 8' sheet

www.winndustries.ca
Winndustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
t2jeff

If your already using kerdiboard for the shower, we don't you just make your own from the scraps? The advantage to not buying a premade one is you can make it any height, thickness, and length you want. And, you can cut the correct slope on the top of the curb........
Old 01-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #4
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

I am too anal to make the curbs/ niches. The hour it takes to build one is not worth dealing with the seams.

Lets say that i do build the dam. Would you build it out of kerdi board or would you cap stacked 2x4? Do you use kerdi band at the seams or kerdi fix?

Old 01-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You want to seal seams, screw penetrations, and edges with Kerdiband. You can use KerdiFix to anchor things, but thinset is lots cheaper.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #6
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

So this puts me right back at why i buy the premade niches and dams vs building them.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
Redlands Okie

Once completed i see either foam or premade as fine. Pick the one that fits you budget or time frame or is available.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase