Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Old 01-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
Old wood window (with wood frame) inside tub/shower redo

I have an old wood window inside a tub in my late 1930s house. We are converting the tub into a tub/shower. The window will then need protection from water. I was thinking of installing some sort of glass cover with hinges (a mini "glass shower door" setup) to protect the window. But given that the area is being gutted to studs, I'd like to explore other options. The siding is brick.

Should I completely remove the window and install a vinyl window? If so, how should I waterproof the window frame and the siding where the new window will be installed?

Is keeping the wood window and just changing the trim and sill to cellular PVC (like Azek) an option? Or does the wood window have to go entirely?

More generally, what is the best way to deal with this situation?

Last edited by mape; 01-11-2018 at 07:20 PM.
mape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
No law that says you can't leave it, but I wouldn't. For a client or myself. The problem is that if water gets on the frame, it's going to find its way past it to interior of wall. Bad, bad, bad. Curtain would be easy way, but kinda hokey in my mind. Couldn't live with it.

I'm assuming brick veneer on wood frame rather than actual brick wall. They make vinyl windows (and aluminum) that mimic the look of old double hungs so it doesn't have to be ugly or even weird. I figured out a way to get it right on a job that never materialized. It would require some good carpentry skills because window jamb is made to opening size in brick. It also has tile running right up to glass, which I've done several of and prefer to vinyl frame, but it's not an off-the-shelf solution.

I'll attach a couple of jpegs of detail I drew. This site will limit the size of attachment so it gets a little hard to read. I could email same to you if you're going to pursue.
Attached Images
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:34 AM   #3
Thanks for the pics, Peter.

I am on the fence about installing a vinyl window. I am planning to change all windows in the house in a few years, when I have the funds -- wood interior, aluminum clad exterior, still undecided about insert windows or full replacement windows. I am concerned that, if I change this one window now, it might not match with future windows.

How about I keep the old wood window, but remove the interior trim, waterproof the heck out of the existing framing, install Azek interior trim (minus sill). and then put vinyl plantation shutters that fully cover the Azek trim? I am thinking of shutter because I also need privacy, and we don't like the idea of glass block and don't love frosted glass.

In the future, if I want to change this window for a full replacement window, I would just remove the Azek trim, remove the framing, and install new window. For that, I would need to tile only up to the interior trim and stop there, so that I can remove the framing in the future if needed. (I know many people prefer to tile up to the window, but I don't mind having an Azek trim -- unless there is a reason to tile up to the window beyond aesthetics.
mape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

When I had my windows replaced, I chose fiberglass ones...smooth, surface on the outside that does not need painting, and on the inside, you had the choice of a wood look (stain any color you want), or the same solid color smooth surface as the outside. Vinyl expands and contracts a lot. The fiberglass frames and sashes expand and contract at almost exactly the same rate as the glass glazing, which puts less stress on the whole thing. And, they're a lot stronger. More than a few companies make these, and I consider them superior to vinyl.
Jim DeBruycker
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase