Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
Atwater4

Mark's Fremont bathroom project

Hi to the board and thanks for this great forum.

I've been reading here for some time in anticipation of a long bathroom project and have learned huge amounts by going through the archive and liberry. But I think I need specialized advice on how to approach my floor.

My house is 100 years old this year. The bathroom was renovated sometime in the mid-80s. There is a step at the threshold about 2 inches high off the main floor. The house has no level floors anywhere – except the bathroom, which is dead-on level. When checking how far out of level the rest of the floors are, this 2 inches is fully consistent with the rest of the place – about 1.5 inches over 12 feet or so.

I’d like to replace the tile. But playing around with the Deflecto, (and plugging in some guesses) it tells me there’s no way the floor will support tile. Except there is tile, it’s in good condition, no cracks, and all grout in good shape.

Here’s some of my assumptions, with questions:

1. Am I right to assume that the previous installation was done over a mud bed to level the bathroom floor? Or could this be some form of SLC?

2. Considering this was done in the mid-80s, would there be any special techniques used to float the mud that could cause problems with its removal?

3. Is it possible to remove tile and leave the mud bed intact, or is this a foolish dream?

And that brings me to the Deflecto questions. I can tell from the small amount of access I have to the end of the floors the dimension of the joists in 8 inches. (Whether that full or nominal I dunno.) I have no way of checking the OC measurement and assumed for the calcs that it was 16”. The unsupported span is 15 feet. On that is the house’s original ¾ T&G plank floor.Then there’s a layer of ¼ inch plywood sheet material. Then what looks like the mud bed. Then thinset and tile.

4. If the floor framing in insufficient to support tile, does the mud bed add anything structural that reverses this? (i.e. Is mud bed + tile over weak framing better than just tile over weak framing?)

So that’s where I’m starting – just trying to understand my floor. I’m just in the planning stages and as this is my only bathroom, once the dust starts flying I’d like things to go as efficiently as possible.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Mark,

Welcome to the forum,

1- I am thinking mud bed as my guess

2- nope

3- yeah, that's pretty much a pipe dream. You're going to do a number on that mud bed making it not worth saving.

4- once you have the mud bed gone you'll be able to stiffen the joists.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Atwater4

I figgered.

Thanks Paul,

Thinking about it, question 3 was what I was really after. This ought to be quite the adventure...
Old 02-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
tilerite

I've used existing mud beds in the past but it was a long time ago and its not something I would consider today. Better to rip it out and start anew.
tilerite is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase