Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #46
eurob
tile and stone installer

It would be interesting to have the 90 degrees drain sloaped for water drainage .
In the same time the water discharge(s) of the drain itself should be at the right place to allow water evacuation with ease.
Can be done ? I think so ....... Lot of custom work ........ Rewarding ? Not sure , but would be interesting.

Knowledge -- something you cannot undo once you learn about it --
eurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:49 PM   #47
wwhitney

If the two drain segments were each level, then you'd need a "ridge" running at a 45 degree angle out from the corner, like a hip roof.

If each drain segment were pitched towards the corner, then the entire shower floor could be a flat plane, with a single drain outlet at the corner. The slope in the field would be 1.414 times the slope of each drain segment, i.e. if the drain segments are pitched at 1/4" per foot, then the field would be sloped a bit under 3/8" per foot.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #48
Lawingnutz

Here is the layout and dimensions of the master bathroom. As stated, this will be a zero entry/curbless shower with a shower door. Should I slope the shower floor to the back wall and use a linear drain, slope to the corner of both back walls and use a corner drain, or slope it to the entrance and install a linear drain at the entry??? Shower head will be on one of the back walls.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2017, 10:01 PM   #49
wwhitney

I don't know the best way to slope your shower floor, but let me point out a relevant geometrical fact:

If you want your main bath floor to be level, and the shower entrance to be curbless (no discontinuities), then the only way the shower floor can be flat (as is typical with a trench drain) is if it is sloped along the direction perpendicular to the entrance. Either towards the entrance or away from it.

With a shower shaped as in your drawing, it would be a lot simpler to do a conventional central circular drain along with a pan whose perimeter is level.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 04-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #50
Lawingnutz

Perpendicular to the entrance would be a linear drain along the 5'3"back wall? Would a rectangular corner drain be able to handle the amount of water??...would it work??
Old 04-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #51
wwhitney

Hi Billy,

To visualize what "sloped perpendicular to the entrance" means, say the diagram you posted is printed on a piece of paper and sitting on a level table. Now move the diagram so the entrance line of the shower (marked 3' 0") is right at the edge of the table and the shower is overhanging, and fold the paper along that line slightly, either up or down. The resulting shape is "sloped perpendicular to the entrance."

With that slope (downards), double trench drains, one on each rear wall would certainly work (those drains wouldn't be level). As to the other two ideas you mentioned, there would be areas of the shower where the water would run into a wall/floor corner, and then run along that corner to get to the drain. I don't know if that's kosher for a shower, I'm just a mathematician. It would be possible to ensure that the water running along the corner is running on a slope of at least 1/4" per foot by increasing the overall slope of the shower above 1/4" per foot.

All of that sounds rather complicated, which is why I suggest that a conventional central drain would be a lot simpler, given the posted shape of your shower.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 04-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #52
Lawingnutz

Based on my trigonometry calculations.....
Perpendicular to the 33" entrance lands 38" along the 63" back wall and 1" on the 62" wall. Will a 36" linear tray along the 63" back wall work?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #53
wwhitney

Sorry Billy, I don't follow you, as the entrance shown is 36", and there's no 62" wall shown. Perhaps a drawing would help? You need every point of the shower floor to be sloped to the drain, not just from the entrance.

With the shape shown I think you'd be best off with a conventional central drain. If you want a trench drain with a flat floor, then I would suggest rearranging the walls a bit so that the entrance is parallel to one of the walls.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #54
MisterJJ

I think I get the intent. I made a quick mockup in Onshape to visualize what I think is desired. With 1/4" per 12" slope the height difference between the edge at the front of the shower and the lowest point at the back corner is 1.39". Here's what it looks like (wall section in gray, tray in blue). Front edge is level, sloping down from there. Seems like a square drain in that back corner would work well.

If a 36" linear drain is what is desired on the longer wall, I think it will work as long as you upslope that back corner accordingly.

Direct link to Onshape file is here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/13...77f512e1e2a5fc
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #55
wwhitney

Hi Joe,

Nice model. A couple questions about that arrangement for you or any shower pros:

1) The back corner would be the lowest point, so a single drain could be put there. This would mean that flowing water from most places in the shower would hit one of the back walls, then flow along the floor/wall corner to get to the drain. Is that OK to do, to channel water along the floor/wall corner like that?

2) If yes, then the downhill gradient of the pan is turned 22.7 degrees away from pointing straight to the back wall (the 5' 3" wall). So that slope along the back wall corner would be only sin (22.7 degrees) = 38.6% of the overall slope. Would the overall slope need to be increased so that the slope along the back would be at least 1/4" per foot? That would make the overall slope about 5/8" per foot, which seems too steep.

3) If channeling water along the floor/wall intersection is OK, but that slope needs to be at least 1/4" per foot, then one option would be to put a trench drain along that 5' 3" back wall, so it can be sloped at less than 1/4" per foot. That leaves only the other back wall (5' long), where the corner is sloped at cos (22.7 degrees) = 92.3% of the main slope. So that corner could be sloped at 1/4" per foot by increasing the main slope just a little above 1/4" per slope. E.g. 5/16" per foot would be plenty, which is a lot better than 5/8" per foot.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 04-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #56
MisterJJ

Wayne, I'm not a "shower guy", just an "engineer guy", but I believe the main point of the slope is to prevent standing water from sitting in the shower afterwards. I don't think you would need as much slope if you were just worrying about flow.

For reference, a 3" drain pipe needs 1/8" per foot slope and an 8" drain pipe only needs 1/16" per foot.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #57
Lawingnutz

Sorry...the dimensions slightly changed. This is the most current dimension. The slab will be recessed 3" to accomadate the shower. Is that good??
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #58
Lawingnutz

The idea of a corner drain is appealing, provided its OK to channel the water along the back walls as mentioned by Wayne. The cost of a corner drain is less than a 36" linear drain.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #59
MisterJJ

Assuming the back is still 63", you'll increase the sloping of the pan on the back wall due to the angle change and now your height difference between high and low point is 1.43".
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #60
Lawingnutz

Thanks Joe...backwall is still 63"...need to take another pic to capture that...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase