Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
2stubburn1

Looking for insured & licensed pro epoxy tiler in Baltimore, MD

I have a quote for $2300 to tile a hall bath surround and floor including a durock install. I have to buy tile and grout but setting material is included. It's with a handiman service (I don't know if I am allowed to say who). The reviews for them online seem a bit iffy but they are licensed and insured and have an a+ bbb rating. However, I will not have an english speaking project manager on site if things seem amiss.

The only other guy who will do epoxy in my area is uninsured and unlicensed and wanted to charge around 3k fir the same job.

I have a 69 sq ft tub surround and want a niche that spans the long wall which is 5 ft. I also would like a herringbone pattern on the floor but am not married to it. The floor is about 33 sq ft. I am using rectified porcelain. Not sure about size of tile yet. Would love the 12x24 stacked but old house prolly have wall issues and 32 inch short wall would look weird with one full giant tile and partial tile. Was thinking 6x12 running bond with 1/16 might be a better bet. Advice appreciated!

Any suggestions? I don't want to break the bank since I only plan on living here a few more years but also don't want a crap job.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #2
koihito
No one of consequence.

Welcome Chrissy,
I can't speak to your market specifically, I'm south of you a few states. That said, the price seems low, I'd be good bit higher and I would be very surprised if my cost of living wasn't lower.

No one of consequence...

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
Cain
Cain

What Nate said.
Neither quote mentioned waterproofing?that's the insurance you should be worried about.
Not saying a handyman can't do tile, I'm sure there are some that can, I just havnet seen one yet.
Certified Tile Installer #362
Serving the metro Atlanta area

Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
2stubburn1

Waterproofing..

The company is handyman on call. They do everything from handyman work to renovations. They mentioned durock installation on the quote. They also confirmed they would warrenty against leaks for one year so....wouldn't waterproofing be a given? I just sent them an email asking them to confirm this is part of the quote.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Waterproofing is NOT a given. A minority of dedicated "tile guys" install waterproofing. Most think cement board is waterproof and nothing additional is needed. And almost no "jack of all trades" install waterproofing.

Not always...but most jobs, even inferior ones, can last more than a year before leaking is apparent.

Bottom line: you need to make sure to research what each installer has on their written proposal. If it's not written, don't count on anything. But this forum has a dedicated group of folks highly trained and skilled in this trade who are willing to share info with you. You can ask us as many questions as you like. Show us the proposals and we'll comment on anything you like.

Help our bicycle team in the search for a cure for Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #6
JTile
Southern Delaware Tile Contractor

I'm about 2 hours east, too far from me but I'll send a message to some guys I know in your area. Any competent installer should be fine using epoxy grout. If someone says they can't or won't install it, you don't want them to install your tile then either.

Kyle's Tile LLC
Ocean View, Delaware
www.KylesTile.com

JTile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:45 AM   #7
2stubburn1

JTile.....thank you

I agree COMPLETELY. That is what I keep trying to tell my husband and these other competitors. Even if the grout didn't matter, which it does, if you are less skilled and just want to do a rush job, why the hell would I want to hire you???

Thank you for your offer. I would LOVE some suggestions.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #8
2stubburn1

Estimate attached...

They also just sent me an email regarding my inquiry into whether this includes waterproofing saying, "yes tile will be waterproof."
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
JTile
Southern Delaware Tile Contractor

Ask them what products/methods will be used for waterproofing.

Kyle's Tile LLC
Ocean View, Delaware
www.KylesTile.com

JTile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #10
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

"Tile will be waterproofed".....
That right there would make me look for someone​ else.
Play along though Chrissy. Like Justin said, ask them to cite what type of waterproofing they will be using that the TCNA approves of.

Note- sealing grout, using cement board and thinset is not a waterproofing method.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
Tilepro04

Homeowner will supply glue?
"Do not work directly with workers. Always call the office for additional work." Sounds like they are sub-contracting it out.

Run, don't walk away from this
Old 04-25-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
2stubburn1

Smile Response re: waterproofing....

COUPLE OF CHOICES
MAY NEED SPECS ON FLOOR TILE AS WELL
511 Porous Plus - Quart
$74.00
Total Price $0.00
The Best Performing Penetrating Sealer on the Planet
WATER, STAIN & SLIP PROTECTION FOR:
• Sanded Grout
• Terra Cotta
• Cantera/Adoquin
• Polished Marble
• Polished Granite
• Limestone
• Sandstone
• Slate
• Saltillo Tile
• Flagstone
• Flamed & Honed Granite
• Honed/Textured Marble
511 Porous Plus is a penetrating sealer designed for the protection of the most porous surfaces. 511 Porous Plus forms an invisible barrier that is resistant to moisture and stains while allowing vapor to escape. 511 Porous Plus is not a surface coating and will not alter the natural look. All surfaces are harder and less slippery. INDEPENDENT TESTS SHOW 511 POROUS PLUS OUT PERFORMS COMPETITIVE PRODUCTS. (Test results are available upon request).
SPECIAL FEATURES:
• Interior & Exterior Use
• Weather Resistant
• OK for Food Areas
• Superior Coverage
• Easy to Use
• U.V. Transparent
Coverage: 500 - 4,000 square feet per gallon.
511 Porous Plus is V.O.C. Compliant where applicable.
511 Impregnator
Product Price Quantity Totals
511 Impregnator - 8 oz.
511 Impregnator - Quart
$34.00
The Original Penetrating Sealer
WATER, STAIN & SLIP PROTECTION FOR:
• Sanded Grout
• Quarry Tile
• Ceramic Tile
• Glazed Tile
• Porcelain Tile
• Polished Granite
• Polished Marble
• Stucco
• Slate
• Terrazzo
• Quartz
• Travertine
• Agglomerate
511 Impregnator is the original penetrating sealer designed for the protection of all medium to dense porous surfaces. 511 Impregnator forms an invisible barrier that is resistant to moisture and stains while allowing vapor to escape. 511 Impregnator is not a surface coating and will not alter the natural look. All surfaces treated are harder and less slippery. INDEPENDENT LABORATORY TESTS SHOW 511 IMPREGNATOR OUTPERFORMS COMPETITIVE PRODUCTS. (Test results are available upon request).
SPECIAL FEATURES:
• Interior & Exterior Use
• Less Expensive
• OK for Food Areas
• Superior Coverage
• Easy to Use
• Weather Resistant
• U.V. Transparent
Coverage: 500 - 4,000 square feet per gallon.
511 Impregnator meets V.O.C. requirements.
Technical Support
*Product Information
*Product use
*Warranty Information
technicalsupport@miraclesealants.com
1 800 350-1901 ext. 1
Monday – Friday 7:00am – 5:00pm PST
RECORDING SAID OPEN AT 8:30 AM PST

Also....it says h.o.c will supply glue....that is them: handyman on call.

Either way, looking into some guys referred by my local high end tile shop. One at least does both commercial and residential. Wilł post when I get their proposals.....if y'all don't mind.

Thanks for protecting me from the big bad wolves.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Chrissy,

This is an easy one; there are zero sealers that make a tile waterproof. None, zip, zilch. No manufacturer makes that claim.

The tile installer should know that.

He doesn't

Find a new installer who doesn't need a flashlight to find his.... :

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:08 PM   #14
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Chrissy,

I just wanted to pile onto the others' warning(s). Waterproofing is part of the prep work that occurs to the area being tiled before a single tile is ever installed. Meaning that a properly waterproofed bath enclosure could theoretically be used without any tile on the walls and would suffer no ill effects.

Sealers are meant as a way to keep stains from penetrating. Sealers have a horribly misleading name. Even the salespeople that sell sealers don't understand them. Sealers really aught to be called something like "temporary stain blockers". Sealers have zero to do with actual proper waterproofing. And anyone who doesn't know the difference very likely doesn't know other things that they don't know. Meaning, they were not more properly trained. This is nothing against them. There are lots of folks who have been working in this industry for years and still don't understand that they are performing a dis-service to their clients. A properly installed bath or shower should last for several decades before it degrades to the point of no longer functioning properly.

By the way, I looked at your proposal. Adding a 3% fee for using a credit card is illegal. You can technically give discounts for certain methods of payment. Buy you are not allowed to increase the price for credit card payments.

Spending more time finding another installer who is understands building science a little better will likely yield you a finer finished product. One that will last longer and adds more true value to your home.

Help our bicycle team in the search for a cure for Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #15
2stubburn1

Old more detailed proposal. Not licensed or insured.

I am hoping the tiler coming this week is "the one". I will post that proposal when I get it. In the meantime, thought it couldn't hurt to put up an older quote I got from us unlicensed guy who seemed ok otherwise. But then you are the experts😊 Lemme know what you think.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase