Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 12-10-2003, 03:15 PM   #1
lanadi

Please Define Mortar Bed (floating) Vs. Thinset Mortar

After the asbestos ladened linoleum gets removed from my 2 bathrooms, I'll have clean concrete slabs to work with. I want to install porcelain tiles directly over the slabs with a thinset mortar. But I have been reading on this board about the use of SLC and mortarbed/mud bed. Could someone please explain these are?
lanadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2003, 03:32 PM   #2
bbcamp

SLC is Self Leveling Concrete. It is used to level floors. Pour it on, it finds it's own level before it sets. you can use it if the structure below is already strong enough, it adds no strength of its own. In your case, if the floor is uneven, with little hills and valleys, you could use it. 3/8" to 1/2" is about as thick as you can go with it in a single pour.

Mud beds are made from a cement and sand mixture that is packed in place by hand. These give a level floor, but usually require more thickness. The minimum thickness for a "floating " mudbed is about 1". If bonded to concrete, it can be much thinner.

As I see it, the skills to make a truely flat mud bed are more involved than pouring SLC. Attention to detail and following directions are important to both.

If your concrete is flat to within 1/4" over a 10 foot area, then you don't really need either, unless you are trying to build height. If you have a couple of isolated low spots, there are patching compounds that can be screeded to fill.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:31 PM   #3
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

I don't think you need to even concern yourself with mudbed..... unless you need to raise the height of your floor an inch or more.

As goes the SLC, only if you have a horribly out of level foundation, and even then I might lean toward a hammer and chisel to take down the high spots.

Sorry Jim

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase