Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Steve in Liberty

premixed thinset vs. actual thinset mortar on floor

I am on the verge of installing floor tile in a remodeled bathroom. The base is 3/4 inch t&g plywood with 1/4 inch Hardy - board attached with "premixed thinset" and the special Hardy screws. I then installed a Warm-Wire floor and covered this with Custom Building Products floor leveling compound. Seems smooth as glass, and as level as I can measure. 1) Should I be OK to proceed laying the floor tile (Dal-tile octagon with dot), and 2) should I use pre-mixed thinset (which I understand to not be thinset at all, but an organic mastic) or mix-with-water thinset mortar to attach the tile? If the premixed mastic is not good on the floor, is it OK to use to attach wall tile? Thanks.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Use mix with water thinset. I wouldn't have used the pre-mixed to set my hardi either.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Steve.

Wish you hadn't installed the HardiBacker over that organic adhesive. Even James Hardi, who usta say you could do that, has come to his collective senses and removed it from the latest installation instructions I've seen.

Some of the "pre-mixed thinsets" will even say not to use'em to set CBU on floors.

But that's done, eh?

Setting the tiles with the stuff in residential applications is technically acceptable, although some "pre-mixed thinsets" will have tile size limitations and perhaps other cautions.

We generally recommend folks use real cementitious thinset mortars for all CBU installations on floors and for nearly all other tile installations.

The organic adhesives (your pre-mixed thinset mortar) are usually recommended by the folks hereabouts only for setting tiles on walls in dry locations. Kitchen backsplashes and such.

But it's up to you what you wanna use.

We'll presume you've determined your joist structure is suitable for a tile installation? And the joist spacing with that single layer of subflooring is suitable as well?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Steve in Liberty

How relieved I am ... just checked with my son who helped me put in the Hardi Board back in the summer. He reminded me that in fact we DID use the dry thinset rather than the organic. AND we are over 2x10's on 16 ench centers, 14 foot span.

My follow up queries are -- 1) is the organic-based mastic still OK to use for installing 3x6 subway wall tile? and 2) for installing floor tile that is fairly small (Dal-Tile hexagon/dot), what sort of trowel notch size/shape should be used with the genuine-article thinset that I WILL be using?

Thanks for your advice. Steve in Liberty
Old 11-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
cx

Technically, yes to both.

I personally would not, however, set any floor tiles with mastic for any reason.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
bbcamp

I think CX mis-read your second question, so I'll try to answer it. Use a 3/16" by 1/4" V-notch or 1/4" square notch (held at a low angle) to comb out your thinset. The rules are the same for any size tile: Use the smallest notch that gives you nearly 100% coverage without excessive thinset ooze between the tiles. With such a small notch, your floor will need to be pretty flat.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
Steve in Liberty

I think I am now straight on materials to use. The rule is : OK to use organic mastic on wall tile (outside a wet area, of course) but very ill-advised to use anything but genuine thinset water-mix mortar on floor.

I plan to use a 3/16 " V-shape -grooved trowel for putting down the water-mixed thinset. Seems like this is the consensus from other threads I have read. I am going at this tonight, so I'll come back to read any response before I head to Lowes tobuy the thinset mix. Steve.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
cx

Passed onna trowel size. Don't got no good eye-dee how large his "octagons and dots" might be.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase