Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #16
Jake717

Thanks Dan!

What about Ultralite Mortar and Ultralite Mortar Pro - Can you break these down and how do they compared to Ultraflex 2/3 or LFT?

Last edited by Jake717; 06-20-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Jake717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #17
Jake717

Wonderboard lite or Durock

Which of these two cement boards would you recommend? Wonderboard or Durock? I am not interested in Hardie.

This will go in for the tub surround (alcove tub) and on the floor of the bathroom.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #18
Kman

Jake, let's keep all questions related to this project on this thread so that questions and answers aren't duplicated, and the history is in one place.

Those are both good products, in my opinion. Either one would be a good choice.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #19
Jake717

Wonderboard is 7/16" and durock is 1/2" so I take it durock will have less flex and a more solid choice or am I wrong?
Old 06-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #20
CaliGrown

I prefer Durock, because it's more readily available to me and when I use cbu which isn't frequently it's my top choice.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #21
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

So to give you a VERY rough comparison based on polymer content and performance:

(UF is shorthand for 'Ultraflex', UL for 'Ultralite')
Thinsets - UF1 < UF2 < UF3
Large Tile Mortars - Ultraflor < UF LHT < UF LFT
Lightweight Mortars - UL Pro < UL < UL S2

We don't play favorites with cement boards, Wonderboard and Durock both work. Go over them with a damp sponge prior to installing your tile to keep them from pulling water out of the mortar too quickly. I'm not sure where you're doing your installation but if it's a shower make sure you're doing your waterproofing correctly before you do any tiling.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #22
Jake717

I will be installing a alcove tub surround and bathroom floor. Cement board and then waterproofed with Redguard.

Is there any pros or cons on using UL or UL S2 over UF LFT for Large Tile?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #23
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Is there any pros or cons on using UL or UL S2 over UF LFT for Large Tile?
Jake, re read every one of Dan from Mapei's posts about his thinsets and the differences. Especially this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN MAPEI TECHNICAL SERVICES
Thinsets are designed to be used at 3/32" or less in embedded thickness. This is typically great for smaller tiles like your 3x6 but not ideal for larger tiles like your 12x24. On your list, the Ultraflex 2 and Ultraflex 3 are thinsets. Both are very good, but Ultraflex 3 is super flexible and sticky which is great for outside, when you have concerns about deflection, and when you're bonding difficult tiles to difficult substrates.

The other mortars on your list are designed for large and heavy tiles, defined as tiles above 15" on any side or above 5 pounds per square foot. They have ingredients that let them be used up to 1/2" of embedded thickness and can accommodate putting a large tile that's not perfectly flat over a substrate that isn't perfectly flat without slumping or causing lippage. The Ultraflor and Ultraflex LFT are both large and heavy tile mortars on your list and you can find more info about them in this brochure.

The Porcelain Tile Mortar and Large Tile and Stone Mortar are versions of our large and heavy tile mortars that are available through Lowes and other retail channels. If you're going that route, the Large Tile and Stone Mortar would be a good choice.
You are getting it right from the horses mouth.
evan1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #24
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
tile lackey

If you want one thinset for everything get either the Ultralite Pro or S2.

As far as backerboard I'd probably get the Wonderboard Lite if I was using it on walls because I shim out my walls before installing it. If it's for floors I might lean towards the Durcok simply because the labels are less annoying.

Unless I was buying it at Lowes because the absolute worst and junkiest Durock I've seen seems to find it's way into Lowes stores.

What I'm confused on is that judging by your mortar options you seem to have good access to Mapei products but for some reason you want to switch brands on the waterproofing? Why not just pick up some AquaDefense with your mortar purchase?
Old 06-21-2017, 06:02 AM   #25
Jake717

I don't need to use one thinset for all, I just want to make sure I use the best thinset for everything possible. I will have some mosaic tile in two of the niches so I will need to buy different thinset for that.

As for Redguard someone is giving me a gallon bucket so I was just going to use it or should i use Aquadefense if I go with Mapei thinset?

Again I do not have to use Mapei products, Floor and Decor carries all Mapei products and I can get pretty much any of their items in store without special order but I am open to using Custom products which I can get at Home Depot but they don't always have specific products in stock
Old 06-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #26
Company Representative

The main advantage of the Ultralite Mortar is that it is lightweight. Most installers also find it easier to spread. The main consideration is to not put in too much water, follow the directions on the bag. It seems kind of stiff at first but will loosen up once the water disperses without adding more.

While I'd love everyone to use Ultralite S2 for every installation, it's probably more mortar than you need for a tub surround. It's really designed for extremely large tiles, exterior applications, or places where extra flexibility is needed. Ultralite would be just fine for what you're doing and is a good cross-over in performance to the Ultraflex LFT, just 1/2 the weight.

We'd clearly prefer that you use AquaDefense for your waterproofing, not mix and matching your installation products gives you more leverage if a situation does develop, otherwise you can get fingers pointing in all directions. As for whose products to use you're welcome to go with any company that makes sense to you, but hopefully you'll remember which one took the time to answer your questions on the online forum.

Good luck with your install!

Old 06-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #27
Jake717

Thank you Dan, you have been very helpful!

I can not find Ultralite S2 on your website:
http://www.mapeihome.com/mortars-and-tile-adhesives
Old 06-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #28
rmckee84

Just do a Google search its on their site
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #29
Company Representative

Here is the information on Ultralite S2: http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/Tile-&-St...I-Ultralite-S2

Old 06-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #30
Jake717

Thank you Dan!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase