Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 06-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
briones

spray sealer vs applied sealer

Is there a differance between using spray on sealer versus hand applied sealer with a foam brush on tiled shower walls? Thanks.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Luis.

That depends on which sealer you'd apply with a brush. If it's a recognized good quality sealer like Sealer's Choice Gold or Miracle 511, then I'd say that they would likely perform substantially better than the spray-on stuff. If the brush on sealer is a cheap $10 bottle of sealer, than I think both the spray stuff and the cheap brushed stuff would perform equally poor.

A few years ago, there was a whole bunch of folks that suffered serious medical problems from breathing in the vapors from a particular spray on sealer. I believe it was called "Stand 'n Seal". While I'd like to think that the problem was fixed, I'd also would have thought that the folks making the problematic sealer in the first place would have figured that out before so many people had to be hospitalized.

Applying a traditional sealer with a foam brush is easy and not very time-consuming. And it gives you the ability to pick out a much higher performing sealing product.

EDIT: I found the old thread about Stand 'n Seal.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:23 PM   #3
prodjsaig

Good to know that the aerosol version can be hazardous. Im fairly new to grouting and tile in general and have a question about sealing. I have done 2 floors and sealed with both water based and oil.

I used a small artist brush and coated it on and basically had just a few areas to buff off. with the oil based I had to reapply the sealer to get some streaking off.

now with something like a shower and a spray bottle or foam brush can you just go to town on the wall. let it dry and the buff it? or do you have to spray it then wipe the tile right away? or just use the foam brush and becareful and not let it drip?
Old 06-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Assuming man-made tiles with a non-porous surface:
A foam brush is one of the quickest tools to get the sealer where it belongs. I'd avoid wiping or spraying intentionally over the whole wall. Too time consuming to remove the excess sealer from the face of the tiles and wasteful of the sealer.

Dip the foam brush in a shallow amount of sealer (let's say 1/2" of sealer in a small container). Mush the brush on the side of the container to remove the excess sealer from the brush that's dripping out. Then apply along the grout lines. As you paint, get in the habit of flipping the brush 180 degrees every several seconds to keep excess sealer from dripping out of the brush. Work in manageable sections at a time. Concentrate on an area that you can coat, allow to dwell 4-5 minutes and then buff dry before any of the sealer dries in its own. Use a clean, white, absorbent rag to polish the excess sealer from the face of the tiles. It is very important to get the tile 100% dry and clean. It helps to work in great lighting conditions.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #5
prodjsaig

Thanks for the help. I have another floor to tile and also have to seal a hearth and entryway shortly. the technique or even the process isn't quite clear on the bottles.

getting some on the tiles isn't a big deal which is what I was critical about at first

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase