Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Old 06-28-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
color caulk to use, and caulk or grout first?

Hi- I'm a newbie, working on my second tiling project. Just a simple bathroom backsplash but have a couple of questions.

1. The countertop is a fairly light colored marble (bottocino) and the backsplash tiles are rainforest green marble (I've also seen it called amazon green). My groutlines are 1/16", and I bought Custom brand "moss" non-sanded grout. Problem is, I have since learned that there is no "moss" colored caulk. So should I use something clear? Something to match the coutertop? The space between the counter and tiles is just over 1/16th inch, but less than 1/8th (I used shim shaped spacers)

2. Should I caulk between the counter and tiles first, to ensure that that space does not get grout in it?

muscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2009, 02:19 AM   #2
Potter, Contractor, Philosopher
I don't like the look of clear caulk used between tile. I would try to get something that blends in with the countertop. I usually grout first, then just clean out any grout that got in the joint were the caulk will go.
Gregg R
Muddman Design
Custom Tile, Concrete Countertops and Remodeling
St. Louis, MO

Muddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Moderator -- Mud Man
I would call around to a Dal tile or two to see if they have Moss caulk. I think I've used it before but it has been a while.

I do it in the same order as Gregg, grout first, then caulk but you can do the caulking first.

Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Thank you both. I did check Custom's website, and a fairly helpful guy at 'the big box store' called their supplier, but no moss caulk. I considered trying another brand, but unless it is an exact match, I think I'm better off matching the counter. Thanks!

How long should one wait between laying tile and grouting? I'd love to get this done tonight......
Old 06-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator
If you haven't finished it already, you're good to go now. Most manufacturers usually recommend waiting 16-24 hours, minimum.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Thanks. I realized last night that as eager as I was, I had not applied sealer yet, so did that last night, again this morning, then grouted this afternoon. I have to hand it to you pros- tiling is too much darned work! The tiling part is fun, but that grouting business is just tedious...... This was a really little job, so it was mostly still fun.

Here's photos.....as I said, really small project, mostly a cosmetic makeover, but almost finished. (No floor yet)

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #7
Remodeling and Tile Contractor
That backsplash looks sharp Anne. Nice way to dress up that tub surround as well.
Facilities Manager, TPC Snoqualmie Ridge
Reformed Remodeler and C54 Tile Contractor
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase