Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Old 07-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #16
Da Home Builder
The tile will bond just fine to the Kerdi with a modified thinset, too, Dana.

If the guy has a personal preference for the liquid-applied membrane, that's fine, but it does not alter the fact that the sheet membrane is the superior waterproofing product and bonds to ceramic tile more than adequately.

If you want a Kerdi installation, I would certainly recommend you find an installer who knows how to use the product.

My opinion; worth price charged.

cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #17
This was some time ago now, Dana - but I was wondering how the Delta product worked for you?
GoZags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #18
Hi there. Sorry for the late reply. I ended up going with a similar product - Platon - from Certain-teed. I think its a tad thicker than the Delta-FL and has a slightly higher load capacity. It was also a bit easier and more economical to obtain, as these products are often hard to find. But its essentially the same HDPE rolled mat.

I am still not finished with this basement project, >.< so my finish flooring is still not down. That said, the underlayment has been installed for quite a while now, and i have no issues to report.

I'm using a 3/4" T&G OSB subfloor (Advantech) over the Platon, and whether you use Delta or Platon, the worst issue is securing it down to the slab with Tapcons. The only advice I can give you is to roll the mat out and let it sit for a few days with a few boards placed on top to let it "relax" and straighten out. It will make your install a lot easier.

As you've probably read, if this type of underlayment doesn't seat flush against the concrete, you may have some clicking or other noises when walking across the subfloor. I haven't had much of an issue with this, but there are a few spots I need to go back and add a screw or two before i lay down my finish floor.

There has been concern raised about drilling holes in a "waterproof" mat. Obviously if you have a water problem in your basement, this is not going to solve anything. I have a dry floor, but still coated my tapcons with silicone before setting them in – to help seal the hole made by drilling thru the Platon, and to make screwing them into the concrete a touch easier. They snap real easy if they bind up. I also left a .25" perimeter at the walls, to allow some airflow to circulate under the mat to take care of any moisture that might migrate up. Again, if you have actual water on the floor, that needs fixed before anything else.

Get a good quality hammer drill (not one of those handheld drills with a "hammer" setting - you'll prolly burn it up), and keep an eye on your bits. They turn to crap after a while. You should also get a pretty hefty drill for the Tapcons as well. A battery-powered 3/8 drill probably won't cut it. Theres a bit of a learning curve with getting the depth of your holes right. so mark your bit once you get it down. I think it also helps to vacuum out the holes before setting the Tapcons, and counter sink your OSB a bit to allow for the screw heads to sit just under the surface. You don't want any bumps in that subfloor.

Hope any of this proves to be helpful for you. But as CX likes to say, advice worth price charged! :-D Best of luck – and may your project move a lot faster than mine! lol.

––This post certified 100% Orc-free––

Last edited by Wagmaster; 02-26-2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Drill clarification.
Wagmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #19
Thread Necro!

Hello again! The tile portion of this never-ending project is finally going to move forward. Long story... :-P

Anyway I would like to solicit some advice on a 7" saw blade for a Felker TM-75. I need to make a significant number of precision cuts to 3/8" granite and polished travertine - and want to minimize chipping and rough edges as much as possible, as these will be highly visible. I'll also be cutting 3/8" Italian Porcelain as well.

I've searched and perused a number of threads here, and these two blades in particular seemed like good choices for this application...

Pearl 6090 P4 Turbo Mesh http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Pea...l1021=7%20inch
Alpha Porcellana 6500 http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Alp...custcol13=7%22

Any thoughts on this selection, or other suggestions?

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

––This post certified 100% Orc-free––

Last edited by Wagmaster; 03-13-2018 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added web links
Wagmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase