Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Old 03-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
Studs not flat

I am attempting to redo the walls surrounding my tub. I intend to install Hardie backer boards to my studs.

When I try to check if all the studs line up so that I have a flat surface to work with, when it comes time to tile, I notice that the corner stud on the back wall is probably about close to an inch recessed from all the other studs on the wall. There is another stud approximately 5 inches from the corner stud that does align with all the other studs on the wall.

All the video's I watch online suggest I do need to screw in the backer board at the corners of the board. It is not considered ok to screw the board 5 inches in and leave the corner without screws, correct?
Attached Images
mksanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
Your assumptions are correct. You need to fur out the corner stud to be in plane with others.

Would it work out OK with mesh tape and mortar? Maybe, but I'd never chance it. It has some track history, I guess, but was not right to begin with.
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase