Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
Leonia

Kerdi curbless shower - input?

I'm having a curbless Kerdi shower installed, and so far I'm unsure of the job being done. They have put in the pan, kerdi board on the sides, but it looks like they haven't installed the Kerdi band or corners yet. However, they have used Durock sealant to caulk the corners and seams. The contractor says he is doing the Kerdi corners and band today, and will run a water test tonight, but isn't there thin set on the Kerdi band that will need to dry for 24 hours? The contractor also told us that when he does the water test, he's not building a dam around the edges, because if he did and sealed the dam to the floor, that it would rip up the Kerdi membrane when he pulled it up. I'm feeling very nervous about this job. Can you see anything else that I should be addressing? Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
Kman

Yes, it has to dry for a minimum of 24 hours before flood testing.

Without a temporary curb, what is really being tested?

Don't know about the sealant at the corners. Never used that product before, but I would want something like a membrane there in a corner to absorb any movement.

The one corner you have pictures looks a little sloppy with thinset. Also, I can't see that the bottom couple of inches in that corner is sealed off. Maybe it is and it's just not visible.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
Leonia

Hi Kman, Thanks for your input. No, that bottom stretch doesn't have membrane up the wall that I can see. I asked about that, and the response was that the guy doing the shower must have run out of membrane, and that they would cover it with the kerdi band today.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
t2jeff

Doesn't look like enough fastners were used for attaching the kerdiboard to the studs, but hard to tell from the pic. Schluter has a schedule for this.

There was a whole thread about sealing kerdiboard with just a sealant (kerdifix in this specific thread) vs. using kerdiband. Might be relevant here.....

Just my $.02....I'm a DIYer......
Old 03-08-2018, 09:39 PM   #5
Leonia

So, they've put Kerdi band in all the seams and it looks like Kerdi corners from what I can tell. So, I'm feeling better about that. The contractor also built a dam out of what looks like Kerdi board and sealant. He said when they did the flood test, the water level would probably go down about 1/8" due to the kerdi membrane (pan?) absorbing water. I thought this membrane was waterproof. Why would it absorb water?

Updated pics of shower attached.

Sorry, last 3 pics are sideways or upside down. Can't figure out how to fix that.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #6
Leonia

Hi Jeff, I noticed that too about the fasteners. The back wall seems to have a large gap width-wise between rows, which I don't understand because there was another stud there they could have fastened to. I'm asking that question tomorrow. Thanks for your input!
Old 03-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If I remember correctly, the spacing is 12" maximum along all studs for the fasteners.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:25 AM   #8
Leonia

You're right, Jim. That's what I read about the spacing, too.

Another question - aside from the water receding, what else should I be looking for when they do the water test? Is there anyway to tell if there's a miniscule leak going on? My house is one story without a basement, just a crawl space under the house, so I can't check underneath easily.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:49 AM   #9
Kman

Probably the most accurate would be to stack some coins to the level of the water. Let it sit for a few hours before checking, as some minor infiltration of the seams is normal, as in 1/4" or so. Then set the coins again if necessary and let it sit overnight.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:52 AM   #10
t2jeff

As Kman said above, stack something so it just pokes out of the waterline. I took a pic of my stack (I used 2" tiles). After 24 hours, I compared the pic to what I saw. You can also draw a line with a pencil right in the pan to mark the waterline. Schluter has a video on flood testing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFrikyrWLOQ
My waterline didn't move at all, but some loss may be due to evaporation.

After my flood test, I battled crawling under my crawl space to see all was dry before I set my first tile. It was a great piece of mind for me, but then again, I over do everything.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2018, 12:57 AM   #11
workhurts

How'd they secure the temp curb to the floor and sides?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #12
Leonia

Hi Ali. It looks like they used kerdi membrane and Kerdi fix to seal the Kerdi board dam. The first time they tried to fill it, the dam leaked, so they had to put more sealant in one corner. Hopefully, they will fill it tomorrow.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase