Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #91
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
The dremel, with a ceramic cutting disk, will be much faster.....
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:25 PM   #92
makethatkerdistick

I was afraid to have to report back with bad news. But no! After a month-long break I went back to work and finished tiling the entire shower. I'll post some updated pictures soon!

Then I tackled the two chipped shower floor tiles. I bought the Dremel Saw Max and set to work. I set the depth control just a 16th less than the tiles' thickness and cut a wafer pattern into the tiles. I could then carefully break out little chunks without seeing any of the orange membrane below. The thinset and the fiberglass mat remained below the tile without being compromised. I already prepared two single tiles which I ground thinner from the rear. Installing them with new thinset will be a breeze, especially since the Kerdi-to-thinset bond is not compromised and the fleece is not torn off. I am honestly glad this project is nearing its end. It has been exhausting to say the least.
A special challenge were the stainless steel Schluter profiles. I ended up cutting them with a regular angle grinder from the back until I had a solid enough groove to finish off with my manual saw. That way, I avoided burn marks on the visible side. I also installed the Schluter 135 deg. outside corner piece which I like. It provides a clean look at that critical corner by the shower entrance.

Oh, and by the way: For tiling the shower, even the large-format wall tile, I used a highly modified thinset with good success. I developed a special affinity for Flexbond and its working properties and decided to stick with it all the way. If you give it about two weeks to dry out, I don't think there will be any issues at all with the Kerdi. Since my project progressed slowly, drying time is obviously not an issue.

On to the Spectralock grout!

Last edited by makethatkerdistick; 02-26-2018 at 09:31 PM.
makethatkerdistick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:30 PM   #93
makethatkerdistick

Here are some pictures of my shower. Getting closer to the end!
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #94
makethatkerdistick

I've got half a bottle of "Sealer's Choice Gold" stone sealer (the $36 Custom product from Home Depot). It's about three years old.

Can I still use this? The container says nothing about storage life.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #95
makethatkerdistick

Spectralock question:
I want to mix up smaller batches. It seems from what I have gleaned, the 1 : 1 :6 ratio would work (parts A, B, C). Am I correct? That ratio would omit about 10% of the aggregate Part C (which I think I'll prefer for better workability).

I have already purchased two full units and two corresponding Part C cartons.

I contacted the Laticrete live chat and got an unhelpful answer: "We don't have any recommendations for this situation." A bit disappointed as the rep. just repeated lines from the product manual. He recommended that I buy mini units instead. It doesn't sound cost effective to buy eight minis as opposed to two full units.

Hopefully, the Spectralock is better than their customer service.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #96
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I usually half all 3 parts and make half batches.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #97
makethatkerdistick

Grouted the shower floor and the curb today. I am utterly impressed with Spectralock. Honestly, I think it handles more easily than regular cement grout.
I ended up mixing the part A, B, C at a 1 : 1 : 6.2 ratio. This gave me a product that was slightly more workable than the standard ratio (equal to approx. 5% less sand). The color consistency is amazing. I mixed up two small batches and still have 60% of the full unit left. On to the walls...
Old 03-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #98
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Leaving out some of the sand is okay but on a ceiling or walls you might find that it will want to run out of the joint. You might have to use the recommended sand (part C) so it'll be slightly thicker to avoid that.

The temperature of the grout before you mix it will affect the drying time too. Store the grout inside the room you intend to grout. I made the mistake once of hauling the grout to the job in the back of my truck when it was down in the forties. I should have known better.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 03-06-2018, 08:25 AM   #99
makethatkerdistick

Hi Davy. I've been successful with a 1:1:6.2 ratio on the walls. Still leaves a bit of sand out. Any more sand, though, and this gets too pasty for me.

It's funny you talk about leaving the grout out in the cold. I've been gently refrigerating my parts A and B before mixing to gain a few extra minutes workable time. The maximum I can comfortably handle before it gets too hard for me is the equivalent of a mini unit.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #100
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The problem I had was since the tiles were installed on a kitchen floor with the heat on pretty high, the tiles were warm. The cold grout didn't want to set in the joints but did want to set on the face of the tiles fairly fast.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 03-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #101
makethatkerdistick

Recommendation for good wall mount for shower head

I am looking for a good recommendation for a universal wall mounted shower head mount.
I bought this at my local plumbing store:

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Faucet-...ds=delta+u4005

I think it might be ok but I wanted to check if there is anything better out there (sturdier, nicer, etc.) Even though this is supposed to be universal, it will not accommodate my hand held Water Pik shower (it will slide into the mount only halfway, making for a wobbly affair).

I guess that means that I have to drill two small holes into the wall to attach this. I also suppose that, if properly siliconed, this will be acceptable? Not too happy to drill into my wall, obviously.

On another note, the Spectralock is all installed, and so is the matching Latasil for the changes of plane. The glass company will stop by next week to take measurements. I will insist on wording in the contract that no penetration of the curb will be allowed. And I will watch them when they install the glass.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:37 PM   #102
makethatkerdistick

In need of a good glass installer

I had a local glass installer on site today. It seemed like he was confused by my setup. As you can see in the picture, this is a neo angle shower. What confused the glass guy was the fact that my one jamb (where the shower door would latch) is at an odd angle to the curb, basically 22.5 deg. off the 90 deg. he was expecting. The 22.5 deg. resulted from designing the blueprint of the shower (22.5 times two to get to the 45 deg., and I later decided to keep it that way to avoid having that service wall jut deeper into the room (it's a small bathroom, and every inch counts).

Anyway, this glass guy told me that the way he sells shower enclosures, he has no way to compensate for the additional 22.5 deg. on this side. The other side of the neo angle shower is fine. There, the curb meets the wall at the desired 90 deg. angle.

I hope I haven't hosed myself by creating this odd angle (112.5 outward). Surely, there must be flexible hardware to enable mounting glass at any possible angle?

Another problem was that this installer only has aluminum or brass hardware. I was hoping to get actual stainless steel in case I decide on a u-channel to hold the glass. One would think that with the superior performance of stainless steel, this would be available, or not?

Any input is appreciated!
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2018, 08:48 PM   #103
makethatkerdistick

GIVE ME SOME GLASS!

I have a shower that I love. All it needs is a frameless glass enclosure. I've had professionals out giving me quotes. They fall into two categories: Those whose design ideas lack experience in glass work and those who have great design suggestions/ideas but insist on curb drilling.
In the age of epoxies and silicones there shouldn't be any need for that.

I need to find a store in the Dallas area that will process a glass shower order to my measurements and my specifications. I've decided to do it all myself. Trying to learn as much about it online as I can.

Who knows such a store in the Dallas area? Basically, I want to walk in, find a knowledgeable rep. to assist me with my special order, maybe show me some stuff in their showroom. Then, two weeks later I go back and pick the shower up and install myself. No hassle from installers, no curb drilling. I need to get this done. I have a nice shower now but can't use it.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:24 PM   #104
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Did you ask Brian Bartek if he could have a door made and you come and pick it up?

Fashion Glass has been in business a long time but I don't know how good they are these days. A couple of the builders I use to work for used them years ago. I believe their shop is in South Dallas, making your drive a little longer if you use them. They do have a lot of install trucks on the road.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 04-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #105
makethatkerdistick

Did contact a couple more local people but no response. I noticed with my local contractors that any little extra request will throw them off completely. I am astonished time and again that the eagerness of local professionals is so low that they won't even respond to inquiries.

I don't want to offend people on this forum who are always professional and helpful and give advice without charging but my experience with actual professionals in my area has left me frustrated. If anything, it will mean that I consider most projects in my house DIY from now on.

I have now drawn my own plans, got my hinges from showerdoordirect.com and ordered my glass from onedayglass.com. Even with shipping from across the country, this will be cheaper than my local dudes. And they do all the mitering as requested. I will get what I really want.

Quick question: I will do a floor bracket with the stubbed screw method and will epoxy the screw and bracket in place. I have some Spectralock left. Can I use that parts A & B as glue only to glue down the bracket? Or should I buy a separate epoxy for this purpose?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase