Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #16
nelsonkoehn
showers & more

Generally, a shower door must swing out, for reasons as stated. It can also swing in.

How about setting the the door opening in a mix of 'A' and 'B'. Don't do the return on the 45 wall. Bring the inside 90 walls into the opening and then fold them back on a 45 for the door opening. When you get to the thickness of the curb fold that back on a 90, and then another 45 fold for the outside of the 90 walls.

That was confusing!

Try these. I don't really have good pics of what I am trying to say but maybe you can piece these together.

Name:  100_0888.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  29.6 KB
Name:  100_0890.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  32.5 KB
Name:  100_0897.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  75.8 KB

That will give you maximum width for the doorway, and keep from that sharp outside 135 corner.

tile.nkoehn.com
nelsonkoehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:44 PM   #17
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

There's also a code minimum door width opening into the shower...make sure you account for that, which when using glass, where and how you hinge it could imping on that opening size.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #18
Lednar

Thank you all for your input. Ed, the existing piping and shower head is located inside the wall located to the left of the shower door opening if you are looking inside the doorway. I'm planning on keeping it this way as it keeps you out of the line of fire that you are describing. The new shower door will open outwards just like the previous one. The entry space for the door should be about 25 inches wide, and as I understand it that is up to code. I would really love to have a shower with exterior shower walls (non-load bearing walls) made entirely of glass but the current setup of the piping for the shower and the room in general unfortunately wouldn't allow any of that.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #19
Lednar

I had to put this shower project on hold for a couple of months but I'm back on it now. I've had the old shower drain replaced as recommended, installed the pre-slope using deck mud with no problem, added the waterproof liner and tested it over night for leaks and it's all good. For the next step, do I 1) install the deck mud top slope of the shower floor then install the cement backer board, or 2) install the cement backer board then install the top slope? I have a manual that says to install the top slope first then the backer boards, but I've seen another that says to do the reverse. Does it actually matter? BTW I haven't forgotten about installing the vapor barrier prior to installing the cement backer board. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #20
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

There are two classes of cbu: 'real' cement, and fiber-cement. The method differs based on which one you have. You cannot embed a fiber-cement cbu into the mudbed (Hardie-Backer is a fiber-cement board). This is problematic when building a shower since you cannot put fasteners lower than 2" above the top of the curb, which means the lower section can't be anchored. The 'real' cement boards can be embedded in the mudbed, and when you do that, that bottom edge is locked in place against the wall.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #21
Kman

Chris, our records show that it's been seven months since you've worked on this project. You'll need to tear it all out and start over.

I would recommend Durock, Permabase, or Wonderboard. Any of those you can get at the big box stores. Install them first, then the mud on top of the liner. The mud will hold the bottom few inches of the board in place against the top of the liner and the studs.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #22
Lednar

Man it took over 2 months just to find a plumber that would actually come out and replace the drain, so that delayed me for a while. Every plumber I talked to would tell me they would call me back with a price quote but would never actually call back. I guess they didn't need my money :-( But I'm finally back at it.

Durarock it is then. I would rather set the backer board in the deck mud. Thanks for your input fellas!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase