Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Old 03-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #1
Ditra-Set users

I am using Ditra-Set to install my kerdi band and install my tile. Yesterday I mixed up 10 pounds and used 1 quart and 3/4 of a cup of water thatís equals just about 6 quarts per 50 pounds to make it loose to install kerdi. I mixed for around 5 mins let it slake for 5 and then remixed it and I didnít think it was loose enough imo but I didnít want to exceed the manufactures water ratios.

I was worried about using it but I went with it and installed all my banding and corners itís stuck and I checked some coverage while I was installing but it seemed just a little to think maybe a bit looser than peanut butter. Do you guys mix it with more water than it calls for for installing kerdi or am I doing something wrong it says no slake required but I donít see a problem for slaking for 5 mins and then remixing as it use to call for a 15 slake time on the old bags.

kba1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
As long as you had good coverage and things are stuck without major air bubbles and wrinkles, you should be good.

Funny enough, the first batch I mixed for my shower was just perfect. The second was too loose. Still worked though. Good coverage and stuck!

Good luck
JMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
I go more by how it looks and feels than quantities. After you've done a few (hundred) you just know.

There's no harm in mixing up a batch, spreading a little on the wall, and see how it does for you. If it's good, allow for slaking and move on. If not, adjust accordingly.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
John Bridge
Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
For sheet membranes I make the thinset pretty loose, not watery but loose.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

It usually doesn't happen, but it's possible that the mix in the bag had slightly separated. When packaged, it's a pretty consistent mix, but depending on how far and method of transportation, vibration can cause the materials to separate some, making different portions of the bag have different proportions of cement and aggregates. It would work fine if you mixed the whole bag, but may not if you only do it in smaller batches.

Unless your scale is quite accurate, plus or minus a tenth or maybe more of a pound will make a difference, so slight changes in the water content can make a significant difference.
Jim DeBruycker
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
I may just have to mix it a touch looser tried a different bag today still same thing with 10 pound batches my scale goes 0.01 rated to 2200 grams and I do 1512 grams 3 Times to make 10 pounds so itís highly accurate lol it should be for $725 but I didnít buy it to mix thinset lol.

I mixed up some schluter all-set at 6.5 quarts per 50 pounds but used 41.5 ounces of water for 10 pounds and that just about dead on if you convert that to 50 pounds and it was really nice and creamy and loose and held a notch very well I was impressed I just donít have enough of it for this project to use it on everything.
kba1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #7
As a complete amateur that has only tiled 5 or so projects, I can't even begin to imagine doing any thinset mixing by weight or water measurement. I work way too slow to mix large quantities of anything.

I think the general guideline with the Kerdi is loose enough to barely hold a ridge and not to squeeze too much out (while still not creating a fat edge that's going to piss you off when tiling).
workhurts is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase