Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #31
kba1980

Thanks I was really hoping to to my mortar pan tomorrow should I wait or will it be safe to do it after curing for around 20 hours?
Old 03-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #32
Mathman

I built my bench out of 2 inch kerdi board and kerdi fix. It is very strong and has held up perfectly so far.
There are videos on YouTube of people building ledge benches and glueing it to the wall with kerdi fix and two men standing on it.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #33
kba1980

Hopefully there want be any issues this stuff is a joy to work with I have just never bonded anything with this stuff and didn’t really know the strength of it but I seen some videos on YouTube of them bonding a custom bench out of 2 inch kerdi board together and seen them bonding it to the floor also but I just wasn’t really sure about bonding the curb to the floor with it since schluter only shows using thinset to bond to curb to the floor.

Can you link that video I would like to see it and can’t seem to find it.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2018, 10:01 PM   #34
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

When I was in a training class at Schluter, part of the process is to build some things with their products. After just sitting overnight, a triangle of 2" KerdiBoard was attached to the wall with Kerdifix. I was able to stand on it without breaking the next morning after only about 15-hours of cure time. Based on the specified curing time, it still had about 4-5 more days to achieve full strength. The stuff will cure underwater - IOW, it is not affected by a flood test. If your thinset has had at least the 24-hours they specify, there's no problem with the Kerdifix.

I've posted a picture of me standing on that corner bench, but can't find it right now to repost. You should be able to find it if you look around here, though.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #35
kba1980

Ditra-Set users

I am using Ditra-Set to install my kerdi band and install my tile. Yesterday I mixed up 10 pounds and used 1 quart and 3/4 of a cup of water thatís equals just about 6 quarts per 50 pounds to make it loose to install kerdi. I mixed for around 5 mins let it slake for 5 and then remixed it and I didnít think it was loose enough imo but I didnít want to exceed the manufactures water ratios.

I was worried about using it but I went with it and installed all my banding and corners itís stuck and I checked some coverage while I was installing but it seemed just a little to think maybe a bit looser than peanut butter. Do you guys mix it with more water than it calls for for installing kerdi or am I doing something wrong it says no slake required but I donít see a problem for slaking for 5 mins and then remixing as it use to call for a 15 slake time on the old bags.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #36
JMG
Jason

As long as you had good coverage and things are stuck without major air bubbles and wrinkles, you should be good.

Funny enough, the first batch I mixed for my shower was just perfect. The second was too loose. Still worked though. Good coverage and stuck!

Good luck
Old 03-12-2018, 09:32 PM   #37
Kman

I go more by how it looks and feels than quantities. After you've done a few (hundred) you just know.

There's no harm in mixing up a batch, spreading a little on the wall, and see how it does for you. If it's good, allow for slaking and move on. If not, adjust accordingly.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #38
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
For sheet membranes I make the thinset pretty loose, not watery but loose.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #39
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

It usually doesn't happen, but it's possible that the mix in the bag had slightly separated. When packaged, it's a pretty consistent mix, but depending on how far and method of transportation, vibration can cause the materials to separate some, making different portions of the bag have different proportions of cement and aggregates. It would work fine if you mixed the whole bag, but may not if you only do it in smaller batches.

Unless your scale is quite accurate, plus or minus a tenth or maybe more of a pound will make a difference, so slight changes in the water content can make a significant difference.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #40
kba1980

I may just have to mix it a touch looser tried a different bag today still same thing with 10 pound batches my scale goes 0.01 rated to 2200 grams and I do 1512 grams 3 Times to make 10 pounds so itís highly accurate lol it should be for $725 but I didnít buy it to mix thinset lol.

I mixed up some schluter all-set at 6.5 quarts per 50 pounds but used 41.5 ounces of water for 10 pounds and that just about dead on if you convert that to 50 pounds and it was really nice and creamy and loose and held a notch very well I was impressed I just donít have enough of it for this project to use it on everything.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #41
workhurts

As a complete amateur that has only tiled 5 or so projects, I can't even begin to imagine doing any thinset mixing by weight or water measurement. I work way too slow to mix large quantities of anything.

I think the general guideline with the Kerdi is loose enough to barely hold a ridge and not to squeeze too much out (while still not creating a fat edge that's going to piss you off when tiling).
Old 03-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #42
kba1980

I commend you folks who tile and use Schluter products for a living

Like the title says you folks have a hard job I just got done tiling my laundry room first tile job ever and I have used all schluter products on both my bathrooms wow what a job I thought watching videos it looked pretty easy I was dead wrong this kerdi stuff is a job it takes me all day to put the Kerdi board up and get it patched now off to tiling the bathrooms.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2018, 10:25 PM   #43
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Nice work, Brad.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #44
kba1980

Thanks Davy I guess it looks ok for my first time and learning from here and Youtube videos lol. I wish I would have used a tile leveling system but I didnít but will be using it for the bathrooms. I donít have to much lippage just a little but the slab I am working with is 63 years old and far from perfect I worked my but off preparing it I did use Laticret strata mat under the tile also.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #45
kba1980

Is it possible for thinset to be to old or bad

I am tiling 2 bathrooms and using ditra set and am having a terrible time with it drying out to fast and being to stiff. I am mixing it at 6 quarts per 50 pounds but doing 10 pound batches mixed at 1.2 quarts per 10 pounds I donít want to exceed their max water ratio. Instead of it being white in color itís almost a tan color I just wonder if what I have is old.

Also I am installing 12x12 tiles and using a 1/4 x 3/8 square notch and I am burning in and combing the walls and burning in on the back of the tiles and still not getting the coverage I would like and I think it because the thinset is to stiff I actually pulled what I layed off the wall yesterday because of this and if I keep using the ditra set I will go 1/2 x 1/2 . I have never had this problem with any other thinset before even using Laticrete 254 platinum in 10 pound batches which is a faster drying thinset the pot life seems to be way more than the ditra set I have gotten my hands on.

Thanks

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase