Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #46
Redlands Okie

Leveler I would be tempted to use as s is. Pre dampen or pre wet the floor first.
I would be tempted to use modified under the floor foam pan to “glue” it down. I assume some wood will still be exposed, thus the modified.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:40 PM   #47
JMG
Jason

Thanks Robert. That will probably be the case...i will be feathering down to nothing from right to left.

Thanks again to you and everyone else for all your help and advice.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:19 PM   #48
JMG
Jason

Quick update to everyone that has been of help to me....

Kerdi niches are in, kerdi is on the walls, kerdi band is up in the corners. Just about ready to install the tray and curb.

I was able to find Mapei uncoupling membrane mortar at my local Lowes and it seems to work very well. Easy to mix, good open time. I have been using very thin layers at a time to fill in very minor imperfections on the floor prior to my tray install which I should be doing in the next day or so.

Next question....

I have marble that I am going to use on top of the curb. How do you like to do it, curb cap first, then tile around it. Or, drop the curb after the wall tile? I'm thinking it will look better setting the marble curb caps first. Right, wrong, otherwise?
Old 02-28-2018, 12:13 AM   #49
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You can do it either way. When you set the curb, try to get a little slope into the shower with it. It only needs about 1/8" to achieve the 1/4"/foot value. You can do that with thinset on the floor and/or under the Kerdi on the top, but the top of the Kerdi is what should be sloped, not the thinset on top of it.

Depends on if you want to see caulk (or an expansion joint profile) on top or on its edge. IF you set it first, then bring the tile down, it's a bit tricky to get the edge of the marble and tile around it on the wall since most of the time, it sticks out beyond the edge of the top of the curb. Depends on the size and shape of your marble cap. On most of them, you can smooth and round the edges/corners with sandpaper.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #50
JMG
Jason

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the feedback
Old 03-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #51
JMG
Jason

Greetings!
Quick question about setting Carrara marble shower curb cap over kerdi.
Marble piece is 3/4" thick. All the thinset I have currently is grey. I have heard that white might be a better choice to avoid discoloration. Is that correct, or would I be ok considering the thickness of the marble?
In a pinch I do have access to white Versabond
Old 03-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #52
Redlands Okie

Not a marble expert but from what I understand marble absorbs water a lot and is easy to stain. Some suggest marble is not recommended for showers.

As far as your question, if its a lighter color and your using a lighter color grout then a white thin-set is HIGHLY recommended but not required.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:32 PM   #53
JMG
Jason

Thanks Robert.

That brings up a good question: I have to have one seam to joint two pieces of the marble, as I could not get a long enough piece to cover the curb.

Would 100% clear silicone, sandwhiched between the two pieces be ok, or should the two pieces be thinsetted where the butt together?

I was thinking of using silicone to make the seam "disappear" as much as possible and butt the ends tightly.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #54
Redlands Okie

kerdi foam shower tray over OSB

Silicone or sand caulk in the corners since its a change of plain. The seam in the middle I would think could be whichever you prefer. Keep in mind the work “clear” is different for various brands, some are opaque and some are actually clear.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #55
JMG
Jason

Marble curb cap question

Hello! I am nearing completion of my tile shower project. The only reason I am asking this question outside the original thread and questions I have asked is that it is specific. Feel free to move it if necessary.

So, I have a whitish marble curb cap that is 3/4" thick that will be going over a kerdi curb in an alcove shower. My question is will it be safe to use the grey thinset I have used to set everything else, OR is it necessary to use white to avoid and potential of spotting or staining, etc?

i have read this can be a risk with a white colored marble but might not be due to the thickness. I would rather not buy a full bag of white just to set the curb cap, but I will certainly do it if it's necessary.

Thanks in advance to your advice!
Old 03-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #56
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

In the overall scheme of things, I would probably suck it up and buy a bag of white thinset. Sure, grey might be "OK," but why chance it for less than 20 bucks?

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #57
JMG
Jason

Damn, you guys certainly keep a man honest
Old 03-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #58
Kman

They sell some 10lb. bags at Lowe's that you can get for less than the cost of a 50lb bag.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:10 PM   #59
JMG
Jason

Thanks Kevin. I need to run to lowes today anyways. I will check.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:41 PM   #60
JMG
Jason

Happy Friday good people. As I wind down my shower project, the wife aka boss are in grout mode. A couple of questions:

1. Cement based grout or epoxy or urethane? Our tilesetter that does a lot of our projects for our business swears by Tec Power Grout. Any other suggestions? Choosing a grayish grout not yet selected. Is the extra cost worth it? Tile is all white ceramic subway 4x8 with 2x2 porcelain penny in the niche's and 2x2 porcelain on the shower floor. Shower curb and niche sills are carrara marble.

2. After grouting and caulking, how long should we wait to use the shower? (the wife and the kids, whose showering we are borrowing are asking ha ha)

Recommendations on grout are all over the place, not to mention the seal or not to seal dilemma.

Thanks in advance. I will most certainly post pictures when I am done. Being my first shower, there are definitely some things I would do different but overall I am very happy with the results so far. Thanks for all your help.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase