Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
homereno

Preslope without metal lathe

Hey all,

I am redoing my master bathroom right now. I had to beg my contractor to do a preslope, which he finally did. Itís sloped to 1/4 in per foot and itís over a plywood subfloor. I decided to make him do a preslope after reading all the comments on this forum. Thank you guys so much! But now I have one concern. He didnít use a metal lathe underneath the preslope. How big of a deal is this? If it helps, we will only be in the house for about 5 years so Iím not as concerned with it as I would be in my forever house if that makes any sense.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
Kman

I would use lath, as well as plastic to keep the moisture in the mud. But if he didn't do either, it's not the end of the world. The important thing is to have the liner sloped, and the mud underneath doesn't have to be pristine.

I'd be more concerned that he wasn't going to do the preslope at all. If you're going to keep him on the project, you should watch the rest of his work and make sure he is doing everything correctly. The fact that he was about to make one crucial mistake makes me think he might do some more.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

What Kevin said, Jerry. The pre-slope is a building code requirement and if the guy building the shower doesn't know even that you're really gonna need to keep an eye on him.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
homereno

Kevin and CX,

Thanks! Funny thing about that preslope. I’m here in atlantabe and I can’t find any contractors that were under 15k (for just labor) who would do a preslope. I have a 16 foot shower and a 240 foot bath area. I just can’t afford to spend 15k for labor on the master bath. Especially when I don’t know how long I’m gonna be here. I’ll watch him on the preslope and on the curb to make sure he doesn’t use Durock over the curb but rather does the metal lathe and wet mud over it. And sloping it inwards towards the shower. I made him do that on the curb too.

Actually, this gives me another question. Just so I can be prepared to talk to my contractor, I know I’m not supposed to use durock over the curb bc you are screwing a hole into the liner and that can create leak issues. But he is gonna say that the redguard will prevent any leaks from the holes in the screws. Is he correct? If so, what do I say to him as to why to not use durock? Pretend he does like 3 layers of durock and all. Is t just the moisture wicking up under the curb and that will yield mold? Is there anything else? Any other reason not to use durock/redguard?
Old 01-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
Kman

There's not much point in having a liner with holes in it. What you described (as a possibility) is against standards, and eventually will let water in. Why do it the wrong way, when doing it correctly is just about as easy?

It's your shower, and if you want something done a certain way, you should tell him, just like with the preslope. On the same token, he would have the right to refuse to do the work in a manner that's against standards.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Installing the pan liner and preslope are actually part of the plumbers job but yet I've never seen a plumber use lath under the preslope. It took long enough to get them to install the preslope. But, I've seen many install the preslope right on the plywood floor. It's not the right way but once it gets hard and the pan is over it, it really can't go anywhere.

Some installers will go ahead and nail CBU to the curb then coat it with a membrane. The membrane may slow the process but water will eventually get to the screws or nails and rust them out, then go thru the holes in the liner and rot the wood.

Like the others have said, watch him close, there are likely other basics that won't get done.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #7
homereno

I agree completely. Iím just trying to get ammunition if my contractor says he wants to use durock. I didnít realize that the redguard would still allow water to seep in slowly. Thank you for that. Thatís def no bueno. Thank you guys for all your help!
Old 01-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #8
Kman

It's not that the Redgard will allow water through, but since it's not a continuous layer over the whole shower, water will work it's way behind the Redgard.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase