Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 04-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Tile Meister

"Best" saw???

Guys I'm in the market for a new saw, and most of the threads here are a number of years old. Sole proprietor, pretty regular use, but not 24/7 in a large operation. Don't want to overspend (obviously). Looking at DeWalt D2400, and/or Kobalt KWS. Have had smaller Kobalt saws and always been happy. Use DeWalt for any of my wood tools/saws. Thoughts? Something else I should be looking at? Really don't want to spend more than $800 or so - need to rip minimum 24's (downfall of smaller saws). Not overly concerned with thickness capacity (I won't take those kinds of jobs). Also, lighter weight is better since I'll usually be transporting/setting up alone. Thoughts?
Old 04-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
smifwal

I see a lot of guys on here like the dewalt you mentioned I don't have one so I can't say from personal experience. Is your wet saw out of commission or just looking to up grade? have you thought about a good snapper in combination with your wet saw? I have a sigma and love it. I use it for about 90% of the cuts on most jobs. I set it up in the room or close by. It saves me a bundle of time
Old 04-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Arnie.

I'd seriously consider what Shawn said. A good snapper like a Sigma is worth it's weight in gold. It cuts right on the spot...no running out to the saw or spending time drying the wet tile off. It's a much faster method of getting tile cut. With a good snapper and an angle grinder, you can do a majority of floors. Walls beg a little more for a wetsaw as more cuts can potentially be exposed in the finished work.

I'm not partial to certain brands. But I am partial to certain tools in certain brands. With that being said, Kobalt is in a much lower league than the DeWALT. I'd pick the DeWALT or a good quality snapper over a Kobalt every day.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:29 AM   #4
Mr_Stop
Home Remodeler

I'm interested in this topic also so I hope you don't mind me jumping in.

I'm thinking about adding a better wetsaw to my arsenal. I have been borrowing the bigger Kobalt 7-in Wet/Dry Tabletop Sliding Table Tile Saw with Stand for some time. It's ok, but not great. I have experienced some inconsistent cuts from time to time. It also doesn't handle larger tiles too well. Some of this might be able to be dialed out if it were my saw.

I agree on getting a better snapper first if you don't have one. I have a Montolit P3 that now does the majority of the cuts. It's much easier and faster to be able to do them in the room. Most of the time, I just use an angle grinder for more complex cuts.

That said, it would be great to have an accurate wetsaw to better handle the exposed complex cuts, bevels and thin rips.

Any thoughts on beam saws versus the more common sliding table?
Old 04-17-2018, 06:53 AM   #5
Tile Meister

I'm looking to upgrade, without going overboard. Every saw I've owned/used has drawbacks.... mainly handling the large format tiles. I really want the ability to rip 24's. I do have a snapper - could probably upgrade there as well, and will look at it. Not great for compound cuts. Came upon a Rigid this morn that fits the bill too. I agree with DeWalt being a step up from Kobalt, but it's literally DOUBLE in price for the same specs. I'm admittedly a cheap old man, but is DeWalt twice as good since it's twice the price?
Old 04-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
smifwal

Someone just posted a thread about having to redo the rail system right out of the box on new rigid. I would think the dewalt would be more than a step above. If it were me I would grab some tile 24's and buy both saws and see if the dewalt was worth the money or if you are happy with the cheaper one keep it and take the dewalt back.. but I have friends that tile and think their snapper is great, then use mine and tell me that their snapper is a turd compared to mine. So you won't know till you try them both
Old 04-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've owned Target saws for many years. I have two now, one small saw and a large one for cutting 24 and larger tiles. These are heavy saws that are work horses. They just keep on going. They don't have all the bells and whistles though. Of course, the small one was about a thousand many years ago and the large one was 1500-1600 many years ago.

My Dewalt was about 850 about 10 years ago and is light weight compared to the Targets. It has the tilt motor, a nice saw with the bells and whistles. Since it's light and has the bells, I decided to make it my go to saw. It stayed on my truck at all times and the Targets stayed in the shed. I got on a job that had 24x48 porcelain tiles 9/16 thick that proved to be too much for the DeWalt. Those long rips took at least 5 minutes to cut, even with a new blade. It burned up the motor and now the Target is back on my truck.

So, weigh it out. I like the DeWalt but it won't last as long as long as a Target. I can't say about the other saws mentioned. I could be wrong but I doubt that any of the direct drive saws will hold up compared to a belt driven saw.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
Racerxnet

I posted in the forum on the mod for the Ridgid and Kobalt tile saws. My advise is sound on the retrofit.

MAK
Old 04-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #9
jSTile

Dewalt hands down best saw I’ve ever owned, I’ve had the same saw for the last 10 years and have only needed to replace motor shaft once.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tile Meister
I agree with DeWalt being a step up from Kobalt, but it's literally DOUBLE in price for the same specs. I'm admittedly a cheap old man, but is DeWalt twice as good since it's twice the price?
No, it’s worth 4x a Kobalt. Unfortunately, the Rigid is in the same lower class. For every satisfied Kobalt or Rigid owner who’s a pro, there are several who have rejected or taken the saw back.

I think cheap tools are too expensive.

2 cents, anyways.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase