Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 03-24-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
tstex

$50 gift certificate who finds solution

Hello to All,

Problem
We have 1285 sqft of tumbled travertine stone pavers outside next to pool. W all
the hurricane rains and debris pushed into the crevices, mold has penetrated.
See pics

What I've already done
- 1/2 cup of ammonia to 1 gallon of very hot water, little dish soap. Dipped 1 ft stiff long handle
bristled brush into solution, and scrubbed three times...barely any results

-1 cup of bleach [which I know is a no-no] into 1.5 gal of very hot water, w
comet power, some dish soap, agitated and scrubbed vigorously.
see after pic and w close up

Solution ?Cannot use any acids and I was
already pushing the envelop w using bleach...did it in a remote place...last few picture is what I did this morning w both of the above processes...still mold.

Anyone that comes us w a solution I will gladly send you a $50 gift certificate. I have not hired anyone, but had a pro bring out his solution, he used it and it did nothing better. Very well known in the industry.

In the last pic, is there anything effective I can use to fill these voids if I used power-washer first remove?

I would certainly appreciate your help, thank you - tstex
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #2
Kman

Tear it all out and replace it.

I'll send you my mailing address.

Have you tried a pressure washer? Is the area flat? I'm not sure you're going to get rid of everything.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:11 AM   #3
houndzilla

Can hydrogen peroxide be used?
Old 03-25-2018, 01:37 AM   #4
andre.g1

Sandblast and reseal with thick wet look stone enhancer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Which ever solution you use, let it dwell on the surface for 10-15 minutes, then scrub and rinse. I like the power washer idea. I agree that you probably won't get it all out.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:44 PM   #6
Gozo

I used Concrobium to kill mold on some framing members. It says it works on non porous surfaces as well. Have you tested a small out of the way section with a pressure washer (lower pressure wider pattern head first)? Sometimes you kill the mold, but the color of the stain remains.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #7
073Manager

Marble poultice to pull it out of the stone
Old 04-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #8
katilicous

Smile The Answer to Your Dirty Stone

*the answer
Call Carl at Klenztone. 1.800.331.1696 Their products are amazing, not acidic and they have travertine specific klenztone you would let dwell on the stone for a bit.
Then a pressure washer with the $80 surface attachment spinner from Home depot (EZClean 15") which rocks and cleans under and around everything without getting you all wet and everything mucky around from splatter and have someone with a wet vac with squeegee wand right behind so dirt doesn't redeposit into the cracks.
Klenztone + Surface Condition EZ Clean Attachment + Wet Vac with Squeegee Wand = beautiful stone
Old 04-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #9
katilicous

More info on Klenztone

My personal experience with this product is product is amazing and company is amazing. They will shoot you out a sample of what you need and have the best grout cleaner in the world that isn't listed on their website but seriously makes bone bone again without a regrout.
I dont work for them, but think the stuff is awesome WARNING,-use the right # for the surface you are working on or it might etch the stone. They have a formula for every surface but I've tried to pull a renegade stone cowboy on stone with the wrong Klenztone and jacked up the surface.
Here's a copy paste and once again I dont work for these guys, just love good chems.

Also including picture of attachment from Home depot everyone needs if they have a pressure washer. $70, not 80.

The KLENZTONE surface cleaner, approach to cleaning surface is to penetrate into the pores and release the dirt from the surface so it can be rinsed off. It cleans where others fail and ensures the original surface can be easily maintained.

Features & Advantages

KLENZTONE surface cleaner does not contain Hydrochloric acid , Hydrofluoric acid , Sodium Hydroxide or any other corrosive acids and alkalies.Water base, Non-hazardous , Non-flammable and effective.Release no V.O.C.Can be left to dry on stone surfaces The stone or pointing will in no way get hurt or harmed even if KLENZTONE is left on the stone surface to dry for months before rinsing.Only*surface cleaning product that has no contact time specification in the world.Preserves surfaces by removing impurities from pores of the stone.Safe for the environment KLENZTONE is readily BIODEGRADABLE.Ideal cleaning solution prior to weatherproofing procedure.Property is protected, not destroyed.Restoration principles are observed.

ProductsSurfaceUsual Application Areas
Klenztone 1Limestone , Sandstone ,Concrete Expose Aggregate , Rough MarbleExterior
Klenztone 2Unpolished Granite and Marble Field Stone , Stucco , FirebrickExterior
Klenztone 3Terrazzo , Marble and Travertine FloorsExteriorKlenztone 4Brick , Polished Stone , Granite Floors , Baked Enamel Flagstone , Glazed Terra Cotta , Unglazed Ceramic TileExterior and Interior
Klenztone Safe EtchRemoves Laitance & Prepares Concrete surface for overlayesExterior and Interior
Klenztone C.S.PPreparing Concrete/ Stone surfaces for application of coatings or adhesives , To clean efflorescence , Tile Grout JointsExterior and InteriorKlenztone SuperbClean woodwork , Vinyl tile floors , Marble/Granite floors Ceramic tile floors , Oils motorsExterior and Interior
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #10
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Travertine, a "marble-like stone," is never a good idea for a pool deck. To compound it, yours is un-filled. I've never seen that done.

Power washing will certainly help in the short term. I think eventually, though, somebody will remove the travertine and go to something else.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
stu rosen

I agree with Kati-just to add-
Klenzstone is a great product-it is acidic however so use proper precautions and read the sds.
The first thing I would do is take a moisture reading of the surface. I dont see any signs of a moisture issue but it wont hurt to take a reading.
I would test (50 sf) a combination of a floor machine and extractor first using a dilution of sodium percarbonate and a detergent scrubbed with a nylo grit(180g) brush. Based on the results of the test I might incorporate klenzstone #3 if the surface needed it. While the holes can be filled it will take someone experienced to do a proper job.
My best best advice is to have a stone re-finisher have a look at it.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:25 AM   #12
pvcsolutionsgroup

Possible solutions

Could hydrogen peroxide be used? I would first off trying pressure washing.
pvcsolutionsgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #13
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Mold needs water+air+food to live. Take away any one of those and the mold will die on its own.

Drying out the area is usually the easiest. Cutting trees and promoting air flow will dry out the area, esp if the Texas sun is beating on the stones.

Keeping the stones clean from landscape debris will lessen the amount of organic material for the mold to feed on.

The chlorine from the splashed pool water isn't going to make much of a dent. In trace amounts, it promotes plant growth.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase