Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #1
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

How would you turn this tub into a shower?

I was asked by a client if I could turn this tub into a shower without changing too much stuff. My answer to her was mostly a "no" but I also told her that i would ask the boys for design suggestions.
The tub is in a house that was built in the 1930's. She says that it's original to the house but i don't know that is true. She was hoping for a way to get water up to a shower head. I mentioned to her that the walls are not waterproof and that the current tile probably isn't water proof either.
My thought is to tear it out, frame in a wall, run the plumbing to a shower head, prep everything for tile.

The answer has to be no, but I need to ask. Are there any as is options on turning this into a shower.
Check it out.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  17.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  20.2 KB

I am neither clever nor funny

Last edited by jgleason; 09-09-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
Kman

Gotta put a shower head somewhere. Outside of moving the valve to the other end and putting glass on that low wall, I don't see any way around framing that wall to the ceiling, or at least high enough to set a shower head.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:51 AM   #3
JerseyDIYguy

How about a hoop shower curtain rod similar to one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Bath-Bath...vZcfvvZ1z0vaaz

You'd likely use 2 extended length curtains to create a complete enclosure (I've seen this in old houses with claw foot tubs). The two curtains would meet directly over the shower valves to allow access to the valves.

Then you'd need to make an access hatch to the plumbing valves on the toilet side of the stub wall. Depending on the existing valve configuration you'd modify the plumbing (and maybe replace the valves) to accommodate a shower feed pipe going up through the top of the stub wall to a shower riser pipe - some ideas here:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Bath-Bath...s/N-5yc1vZbrii

You'll probably need to change the tub spout to one with a diverter.

There are also kits where you can run all the shower riser plumbing directly off of a tub spout so you wouldn't even need to get inside the stub wall:

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/convertoskits.html

It's not the high tech solution, but you get to keep almost all the existing tile and walls as-is (I'm aware this qualifies as blasphemy on a tile forum).

Last edited by JerseyDIYguy; 09-08-2017 at 04:01 AM.
JerseyDIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:35 AM   #4
Redlands Okie

How would you turn this tub into a shower?

Acrylic, fiberglass FRB, or custom made to fit such as ONXY panels sold at box stores or glass panels (opaque) or combination could be set on all three sides of the existing tile. Right up against the wall as needed. Glass door or shower curtain for entrance. Shower head on a flexible hose or fixed pipe attached to a new faucet spout with a diverter and top connection for the hose. Glass company can drill holes in the glass to hang the flexible hose head or install a plate the width of the shower unit made out of the same stainless steel as the rest of the frame. JesrsyDIYguy ideas also a neat idea with little modifications needed and easy to remove at a later date if needed. Easily doable project.

Last edited by Redlands Okie; 09-08-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Redlands Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:39 AM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Add kerdi or hydroban foam panels to the walls for waterproofing, then install a giant single tile on each wall, then paint the room to match the large tile. Everything will look the same and solve your problems.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Okay. Thanks for the suggestions.
Jersey diy, ideas like that are exactly why i decided to post. I figured there was nothing that could be done besides tearing it out and starting over.

I am neither clever nor funny

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase