Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
EricO
EricO

Eric's linear drain shower?

Spouse wants a curbless shower with large format tiles.

I suppose this means a linear drain.

This will be a large shower - 72 inches wide and 42 inches deep. With the drain either at the back of the shower or front of shower. Either way we are looking at a 72 inch drain.

I have several mud pan and pvc liner backerboard showers under my belt for myself, friends, and family. All with the help of the folks here and our sponsor's book.

A couple, well bunch, of questions I have:

1) It looks like only one option for a drain that long: infinity??

2)if I do a pvc liner what's going to be my best pan/waterproofing method here?

I'm in a loft condo and the bathroom is built on a platform. I can probably drop the shower enclosure down a little by removing the plywood and shaving whatever joists are there. Not my favorite idea. I can probably build the outside area up 3/4 to 1 inch.

3) A hydroban shower with a hydroban drain seems like a great idea but it appears they don't make a 72 linear inch shower drain. Also, I guess I've been away from the forum for a while. Do we trust all surface applied liquid membrane? I have a lot of experience with redgard but only for walls. I always liked the idea of a bullet proof pvc liner as the last defense.

If I go the infinity drain route with a pvc liner what does the math look like in regards to floor recess?
Old 09-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
JerseyDIYguy

Could you do a linear drain along the short (42") edge and have the entire floor slope down to that drain as one long flat (but sloped) surface? That's what I'm considering for a 73"x36" shower I'm planning.

You could probably get away with using a 36" drain centered on the short edge since you won't get significant standing water on the small (3") strips of tile outboard of the drain.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Eric,

Using a PVC liner would really be problematic in this case. I would consider one of the surface applied membrane systems, and my own preference is a sheet membrane, either Kerdi of Durock.

Warren, the drain has to be back or front for a curbless shower.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
EricO
EricO

John,

Does Kerdi make a 72" drain? If they or laticrete had one I would be in business.

Is there any other way to use the infinity drain with surface applied?

One way or another I think I have to pour a pan. I don't think I can get a pre sloped pan in that dimension? Yes?

The 72 inch drain seems to be a sticking point.

I thought about a 12" seat at one end but "the designer" shot that one down.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
wwhitney

Schluter KLV60E180 KERDI-LINE CHANNEL BODY 70-13/16"

Laticrete appears to max out at 60" per their website.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 09-07-2017, 03:51 AM   #6
JerseyDIYguy

Quote:
Warren, the drain has to be back or front for a curbless shower.
Oops. Didn't catch that one...
Old 09-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
EricO
EricO

Thank you Wayne!!

Looks like I'm going to learn Kerdi.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
houndzilla

Check out the FF series from infinity drain. You can attach you sheet membrane to the flange with kerdi-fix.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:46 PM   #9
EricO
EricO

George,

Does that come in a 72"?

The only 72 I see is the sas 6572 which looks like a liner would be best
Old 09-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Eric, I haven't looked up the drain you plan to use, you might post a link to it if you have it handy. Like JB said back in post 3, a surface applied membrane usually works better for curbless showers, this is why. When using a traditional pan liner, you can't stick the tiles directly to the liner like you can a surface type membrane, so it needs a mudbed on top of the liner. So, to use a pan liner, you need more depth for the two mudbeds . With a surface membrane, you only need 1 mudbed, that's under the membrane, then you stick the tiles directly to the membrane. The overall system is thinner.

Plus, depending on the situation, fastening the pan liner at the shower door area can be a challenge.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
EricO
EricO

Davy

I think it is going to be:
  • Mud pan
  • Kerdi drain
  • Kerdi floor
  • Kerdi board walls
  • ditra outside the shower

Trying to decide best placement of the drain. Initially I thought at the back of the shower. But I think at the entrance makes more sense.

Is my thinking correct that I can set the drain in about 1" inch deep mud? Then slope up/back about 1" inch over 42" inches?

Or can I get away with 7/8ths on the drain side? That would allow me to build up 3/4 plywood outside the shower with 1/8th ditra???

I have to look for a drawing of the drain height.

I saw a video on YouTube where a guy uses a screed board in place of the drain to set the pan and then sets the drain in thinset afterwards.

How does that sound?
Old 09-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #12
workhurts

Just keep in mind that your widest visible dimension is the grate frame. Use that measurement when determining 'size'. Also look at Schluter CAD diagrams carefully. Their 'nominal' sizes could throw you off if not careful.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, check your sizes. You have to allow an inch or two on each side wall to be built. If your opening is framed 72 inches, a 72 inch drain will be too long.

Edit; If you plan to have a door, I would want a small speed bump under the door so the rubber flap on the bottom only drags when it's closed, not on the bathroom floor.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 09-11-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #14
EricO
EricO

It turns out I am going with a Kerdi 64 inch bonding flange

My drain will be slightly smaller than my finish opening.

What's the best way to make up the difference?

I'm using 12x24 tile. Drain at the entrance of shower. Tile in drain grate

I wondering how it would look with a small (2 inch?) piece of tile at either end?

Something like a small ramp pitched to direct water to the drain so I don't end up with a little puddle. I was thingin of shaving the back of the porcelain tile to accommodate the "ramp" of it might squish down on one end and squeeze out a little thinset.

Another question: how close am I going to be able to get a glass panel to the outside edge of the drain? And do I need to worry about a screw penetrating my ditra on the "dry side"?
Old 10-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #15
EricO
EricO

Kicking hoping to get an answer

Kicking hoping to get an answer

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase